It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Judge rules Obama's aunt can stay in U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Judge rules Obama's aunt can stay in U.S.

news.blogs.cnn.com

President Barack Obama's Kenyan aunt can stay in the United States, a U.S. immigration judge has ruled, ending a more than six-year legal battle over her status.

Judge Leonard Shapiro made the decision Friday, court officials told CNN. Two government sources confirmed Monday that the ruling will give legal status to Zeituni Onyango, allowing her to remain in the country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Well, here's one way to solve the illegal immigration problem...be a relative of the President. It seems that if you're related to the country's President, you can stay in this country even though you have previously been told to leave on multiple occasions. I expect this to be the next "thing" the media will hang onto especially if the Judge involved in the case can be connected to Obama in any way. Just another example of the powerful getting their way regardless of law.

news.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You know, if he wanted to make a stand against illegal immigration...

He just missed his chance.

Pretty sure we all knew how that was going to turn out though. lol

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   
OP's source

White House officials said during the appeals that Obama was staying out of the matter.

"The president believes that the case should run its ordinary course," the officials said.

Take that as you will, just pointing out another part of your source.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

whitehouse.gov

Bring People Out of the Shadows

President Obama supports a system that allows undocumented immigrants who are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, and go to the back of the line for the opportunity to become citizens.

I think Obama favors a solution with more options than just taking a tough stance against immigration.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
What a surprise! The Aunt of the President of the United States can stay in the USA....Did you REALLY think the President's Aunt would be deported? Come on...not gonna happen!!!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Styki
OP's source

White House officials said during the appeals that Obama was staying out of the matter.

"The president believes that the case should run its ordinary course," the officials said.

Take that as you will, just pointing out another part of your source.

Do you really believe that Obama just let this issue be on the back burner for him? He has more to gain if his Aunt is allowed to stay in the US than if she is deported back.

Now Obama and his Teleprompter can go preaching to the town halls full of Illegals how his Aunt was going to be deported, and yada yada yada

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Common Sense says...
What a surprise! The Aunt of the President of the United States can stay in the USA....Did you REALLY think the President's Aunt would be deported? Come on...not gonna happen!!!

In that case the rest of the illegal immigrants should also be allowed to stay.

Good news for all the illegals in US!

Just goes to show how fair the US system is.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Doujutsu

The "rest of the illegal aliens" do not have a realtive that is the current President of the United States....It is not fair and I am not in favor of it but you have to admit it is not a surprise.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Maybe the U.S. will get smart enough to call all the 'illegal immigrants' instead as "Tourists".

Then they can erect toll gates on the border. If you don't have a U.S. coin on you to put into into the jukebox, you can't enter!

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Realistically, President Obama didn't have to do anything. The entire political establishment can influence matters in whichever way they wish - and they do.

This was a lose-lose for Obama's personal perspective.

I would expect that if his family is anything like mine, he would have been expected to support his aunt's efforts; but he really couldn't without abusing the office. If he didn't he would have failed his family.

Fortunately for him, and every other president of this country, he CAN rely upon the political officiates and minions of his party to ensure the desired outcome.

The point is moot.

Politically appointed or duly elected judges always comply with the will of their support base.... at least nearly always.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Well I for one am glad that she could stay. That gives hope to others who may find themselves in similar situations. She makes a mean chocolate chip cookie by the way and I'd sure miss that if she was deported.

posted on May, 17 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

As I said, I was just pointing out what the source had said. To answer you question, I am not really sure.

I don't believe the Obama would need to say anything for the judge to know that this was a special case. Not special as in being different from any other case, but how many people would know about the outcome.

I am sure it was a difficult decision to make. I personally don't know how other cases similar to this one have turn out.

posted on May, 18 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yep... This pretty much says it all.

top topics

join