It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Robert jonson give his soul to the devil to start rock n roll. 2

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by fizzy1

Hey man, good post *.

Whilst I agree with almost everything you said, I'm not too sure about Robert Johnson not "inventing Rock & Roll" - yes, he was Delta Blues, but that did have a profound effect on the emergence of Rock & Roll.

That being said, music being such an intangible thing, it's like trying to rate the "best" or most "original" in any art form, albeit with a little less subjectivity. The problem being that it was so long ago and difficult to gauge that when we try to quantify these things:

a) Who was the first Rock & Roll act

b) Who were the influences on this?

It's an argument I love, I might learn something - please feel free to enlighten me.

posted on May, 13 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Actually, it is a Robert Johnson song that Cream covered.

Two.

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jokei

Yeah i do agree with you on the fact that he did have an influence on many rock and roll musicians, however the music he played was far from what people consider to be rock and roll. I would think in order to have the title of creator of rock and roll you would have at least have to be credited with playing some of that type of music and not just be influencial. As a matter of fact he was influencial with alot of 60's groups. Most notably was led zeppelin who borrowed ALOT of his lyrics into their songs. Lines like "squeeze my lemon till the juice runs down my leg" as well as The song Traveling riverside blues which borrows many lines from alot of different johnson songs.
I guess its just a matter of perspective really if anyone wants to think robert johnson created rock and roll but the truth is that he was ONE of many blues musicians from that era who were big influences on rock and roll musicians many many years later. Keep in mind that robert johnson was not big in his time. He was considered to be a minor player in the blues scene and died a very young age and was not that far into his career. So to define him as being solely the creator of rock and roll to me is silly. Why not other blues musicians like T bone walker, Son House, Willie Brown, Blind Boy Fuller or one of my personal faves, Sonny Boy Williamson.
I once had a LP recording of the Yardbirds and Sonny Boy Williamson that was a jam session they did and was recorded live without editing. That was back when clapton was with the yardbirds, before cream. It was awesome. It along with alot of my other LP's were stolen from my house. I have yet to be able to find another copy of it.

For those not familiar with The Yardbirds, they had such members as Eric clapton, Jeff beck and Jimmy page. ( i just love rock history)

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
First of all what a breath of fresh air has been added to the General Conspiracies forum,good on you OP.
Robert Johnson is revered by guitar players because he could play more than one part in time and coherently ....way past most others abilities.
Blues is steeped in sorrow, and where there is sorrow the" evil one" lurks.
Above all the blues is a degree course in honesty.
Thats what the blues is.... honest baring of the soul, whether the soul is in the thrall of debauchery or in the pangs of regret.
Love is behind the howling of the blues"somewhwere inside".

posted on May, 20 2010 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Actually, not to get too technical, but the spell involves conjuring up the devil, who in fact just tunes your stringed instrument for you.

If I recall correctly, and I may not, it requires waiting at a cross roads, for three nights, with instrument in hand, offering certain sacrifices and incantations, and if the devil is interested in helping you out, he shows up on the third night.

I mean after all, I am busy and have a life too, lazy guitar players who can't even tune the darn things!

Everyone on this planet is so friggin helpless!

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I don't know if anybody has posted any of this info... but it's weird that he was murdered just before he was supposed to play carnegie hall(the place to be )which would signify him "makin it big." i got this from a documentary i watched on ovation. blues was known as the devil's music. what if there was a conspiracy against the blues or even music in general-haha we'll see

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Tennessee created rock n roll haha- blues from W TN- Folk/bluegrass from E TN-Nashville is right in the middle- just an observation(makes sense though)
_javascript:icon('
')
[edit on 3-6-2010 by SouthernSON]

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 02:44 PM
link   
well, first you prove we all have souls, then you can proceed to your theory

otherwise, its just speculation

posted on Jun, 3 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol