It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fishzilla

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
www.news.com.au...

A SAVAGE predator known as "Fishzilla" and a perch capable of climbing trees could soon reach the far north of Queensland.

Snakehead fish, native to tropical Africa and Asia, have an appetite for blood and can grow to a metre long,

The stars of a horror movie trilogy, snakehead fish are known to eat water birds, snakes and rodents.

They can live in poor environmental conditions, helped by their ability to breathe air - and in some cases, walk on land.

Climbing perch can travel across land on their pectoral fins and, as their name suggests, may even climb trees.

picture at source

A ficken fish that climbs trees.
HOW?

I have never heard of these fish before, freaky.

A bloody meter long.

Would scare the sheet out of you if it landed on you.

Have never seen any of the movies.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by acrux]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Now this is what I call a monster. I have not seen the show monster quest in a while. But this fish would bring in ratings. Isn't he a cute little guy?

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Hi!

Many thanks for posting this - had never heard of it before. Not sure I would want to catch one either - looks like it has a real chip on its fins.

Peace!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
hmmm that looks delicious.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by The Wave

looks like it has a real chip on its fins.

LOL ... you can try knocking it off if your game enough.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by acrux

I watched a documentary on this a couple of years ago. From what i remember, Fishzilla is originally from China... imported to the USA for food, some were accidentally released into the wild (although in one case a man admitted to actually placing some live fish into a river)

They have now spread throughout large areas of the US and are a big problem!!

Fishzilla has a massive appetite and, once introduced to foreign rivers, soon becomes the top predator and is a big threat to indigenous wildlife...

However... the part about climbing trees is nothing but media hype (as far as i'm aware)

Well this is all from memory... but that’s what i remember! I think the documentary was on Nation Geographic!

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Thanks for the heads up. He's one mean looking mutha.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

This reminds me of the cane toads in Australia. Sometimes it's crazy to have a foreign animal be brought in to another environment and thinking it won't be much of a threat to the other wild life.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

this reminds me of the cane toads in Australia. Sometimes it's crazy to have a foreign animal be brought in to another environment and thinking it won't be much of a threat to the other wild life.

Yes cane toads are a major problem in Australia. Some have now even evolved longer longer legs to travel further distances.
news.nationalgeographic.com...
www.livescience.com...

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by acrux

Perhaps placing these in the Rio Grand River can help deter illegals from entering? Just my thought. Nevertheless a nasty little fish for sure.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Word from Thailand is that they're delicous, If they make their way to southern QLD ill have to give em a try.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by mikelee

Perhaps placing these in the Rio Grand River can help deter illegals from entering?

LOL. Yes a few of them biting people on the ass would make think again. I know I wouldn't try that way in that's for sure.

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
that's a big fish and it has teeth.

but you never really know so more that you know right?

posted on Apr, 14 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hullabaloo

but you never really know so more that you know right?

??please explain??

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I've seen a few documentaries on these guys, and nothing would lead me to believe they could climb trees...

Still, it's a rather monstrous fish, and can survive for days on land, albeit not very agile on land.... Nasty little critter...and a huge ecosystem problem, where it's encountered.

Some places have even had to kill ALL of the fish in a pond, just to get rid of these guys (and then restocked the pond)....

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I remember watching one of the movies made 'based' on this fish. It was really chep, badly made and acted shows (made for tv), that you watch only because there is nothing else on. I laughed about it, until I found out they were real!!!!!

Edit to add:

Here is a link to the movie review.

It's called Snakehead Terror. Stars Bruce Boxleitner, which is probably why I watched it.

[edit on 15-4-2010 by westcoast]

posted on Apr, 15 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
hmm I think i'm going to have some chinese food today.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I remember watching one of the movies made 'based' on this fish. It was really chep, badly made and acted shows (made for tv), that you watch only because there is nothing else on. I laughed about it, until I found out they were real!!!!!

Here is a link to the movie review. It's called Snakehead Terror. Stars Bruce Boxleitner, which is probably why I watched it.

Read the review, so like a very lame movie. E or F grade, doesn't even come close to be consider a B grade movie.

top topics

join