It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do you wan't to believe in an afterlife?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freq Of Nature
Judging from the posts, most people believe in an afterlife...

My other question to you is why would you wan't to live for eternity?

What happens when the earth dies?

you have good questions, as it looks like you are searching for a better understanding of life. For so much of my life I too felt once we die, that is it, light off it's over. However, that leaves so much unexplained and as you begin to search inside of yourself as well as begin to study the 'True' history of mankind you will realize that this style of thinking, that life ends once your heart stops, comes from a controlling and manipulative Western ideology. Start with some books by the Dalia Lama, it will head you in the right direction.

Heaven is something mankind must achieve, Hell is something that is inevitable if mankind does not progress towards achieving Heaven. Since we obviously are not progressing away from Hell, it is fair to say non of us will see heaven in this lifetime. Therefore, the theory of life being energy that can be reincarnated so to speak, not only makes more logical sense but also offers a sense of peace and tranquility in even the most tormented souls.

Everything in Life has energy. Think of that energy, as the fuel for your mind and soul.

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

"Again, you're assuming there must be "something beyond" because you cannot seem to fathom the possibility that there may not be a meaningful point to something's existence. That is a vain viewpoint: to assign such an importance on the universe having meaning to hominids. Purpose and value are conceived by and measured by people. The universe operates independently of our desires."

First, to say there may not be a meaningful point to something's existence kind of shows your confusion. There is reason for everything. That what you cannot reason is what you have yet to understand. This is the age old debate between Philosophers and Scientists, when both are partially right.

Second, it is not egocentric to believe in a 'afterlife' if you are aware you do not take your materials, accomplishments and/or memory's with you. I respect your criticism, but go research Ancient Religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism... The west has blinded you, like it has me. Find the light.

[edit on 11-4-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

posted on Apr, 11 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeIsEnergy

First, to say there may not be a meaningful point to something's existence kind of shows your confusion. There is reason for everything. That what you cannot reason is what you have yet to understand. This is the age old debate between Philosophers and Scientists, when both are partially right.

I am not confused about anything. There is not always a reason for everything. If you eventually come to "understand" a reason for an event that has none, you have simply invented one.

Second, it is not egocentric to believe in a 'afterlife' if you are aware you do not take your materials, accomplishments and/or memory's with you. I respect your criticism, but go research Ancient Religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, Confucianism... The west has blinded you, like it has me. Find the light.

Uh, thanks, but since my mother is Buddhist I'm certain I'm not "blinded by the West". I've investigated a fair number of different religions and none of their claims about an "afterlife" are convincing, and not one of them are backed by any evidence. Belief in an "afterlife" is a constant with religions because without it the religion itself would be little more than a collection of tales and guidelines with no other incentive to take it seriously. There is no "afterlife", you won't survive death, come to terms with it.

Also, it's impolite to tell others they're confused and blinded and must "find a light". That's what cult leaders tell potential inductees.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I personally have no idea what happens when we die. I dont believe in any of the religious explanations as to me they dont make sense and tend to give religious people a convenient leverage over others, i.e. do as I say or burn.

I am not saying I believe in reincarnation but science and the world around me has led me to believe that life, like almost everything else in the universe is cyclical. Matter cannot be destroyed, energy cannot simply be lost, what goes around comes around, from the atomic level to our solar system, things tend to have a habit of coming full circle.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by hippomchippo

Its in me blood, I mean why not share proof so many can be at ease its not as bad as you think to return to your original perfect selves. Sorry if it made you uncomfortable THERE IS MORE AFTER LIFE AND DEATH THO....

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
The best proof I can think of as now is written in the ENGLISH BIBLE

That book also claims there were talking snakes (POTENTIAL REPTILLIAN ATTACK ON YOU TO MAKE YOU KILL YOURSELFS FASTER INSLAVE YOUSELVES WEAKEN YOURSELVES, EHH), resurrections (REBIRTH OF THE SON THE LAMB YOU MEEN), impregnations by ghosts and other impossibilities(TRANSMIGRATION OF SOULS YOU MEEN). Any claim in that book is dubious at best and could hardly be considered proof by any means. AND ANY WHO WISH NOT TO BELIEVE SHALL FIND OUT LATER LOL I NO CARE FOR THOSE WHO CARE NOT FOR THEMSELVES!!!!

[edit on 4/12/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by traditionaldrummer

The best proof I can think of as now is written in the ENGLISH BIBLE

That book also claims there were talking snakes (POTENTIAL REPTILLIAN ATTACK ON YOU TO MAKE YOU KILL YOURSELFS FASTER INSLAVE YOUSELVES WEAKEN YOURSELVES, EHH), resurrections (REBIRTH OF THE SON THE LAMB YOU MEEN), impregnations by ghosts and other impossibilities(TRANSMIGRATION OF SOULS YOU MEEN). Any claim in that book is dubious at best and could hardly be considered proof by any means. AND ANY WHO WISH NOT TO BELIEVE SHALL FIND OUT LATER LOL I NO CARE FOR THOSE WHO CARE NOT FOR THEMSELVES!!!!

[edit on 4/12/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

Thanks so much for mutilating my post.

"Potential reptilian attack"? You are clearly unstable and a religious psychotic. I wish you the best in becoming a mentally healthy individual.

posted on Apr, 12 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If nothing is ever lasting what was the point in it all coming into existence. I mean why did the universe just happen why didnt it just continue as a pre big bang void of darkness and last that way forever? I mean in the end if you believe all this has no point why even bring itself into existence?

Look at how huge the universe is. We can not even comprehend the vastness and knowledge that makes up this universe or even multiple universes if they exist. Who wouldnt wanna live forever and explore the universe and acquire knowledge that could never be acquired in one lifetime? We have this awesome universe and you guys would only be happy existing only a few decades in it?

So out of billions of years we only get 76 years if we are lucky to see this grand scale design/accident ? Eh i fail to see the point in that. To me it would be all pointless and if the universe did have a start it shouldnt even have begun at all if the point of it was to exist and then die. Why begin at all?

To me their has got to be something more because i just cant imagine the creation of something so mind boggling huge and wonderful to be pointless. To me the universe is a recycling machine nothing goes to waste everything stars, galaxys, men are born and reborn. Everything goes on forever in one form or another.

[edit on 12-4-2010 by ker2010]

posted on Apr, 13 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Science I feel helps me get a logical understanding of life!

I don't believe in an after life, but I do believe in life after life!

We are all made up of the same matter and that matter won't disappear even when the earth dies it will release its energy and matter into space and the universe!

So I guess my beliefs are similar to buddhists apart from the reincarnation part!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Do you enjoy living today? What about tomorrow? It's hard for us to imagine what it might be like to exist forever. But us existing today or tomorrow? Not so tough. So why not the next tomorrow 1,000 years from now? Do you think you would not like living at that point?

The only thing I can think of is that you've conquered existence and can learn no more, you cannot think a new thought and cannot create. Or that you cannot handle the circumstances in which you exist, depressing (which could change the next day).

So unless you've created all that you could have, imagined everything possible and know the truth in everything to the fullest, I don't see how or why you could reasonably wish to stop existing.

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   

My other question to you is why would you wan't to live for eternity?
reply to post by Freq Of Nature

Well my best answer for that is, as long as there is life, there is a chance for adventure. To seek out new life. To boldly go where no man has cone before.

Because sleep is boring.

We are all made

You seem to have a problem keeping this clearly in mind.

[edit on 16-4-2010 by randyvs]

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join