It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gander,Newfoundland/911

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
There are times when I have to stop looking at the forest in order to see the trees.I feel this is one of those times.The tradegy of 9/11 has had a lasting effect upon me.Although I knew none of those who perished on that day,I still to this day feel an overwhelming loss.There have been many nights when I've been unable to sleep.I have suffered depresion,anxiety,despair and an overall sadness.It has made me feel helpless,small and irrelevant.,and more than anything else,it has caused me to feel hopeless.I come to this forum in an attempt to understand 9/11 more than I do.I don't come here to 'stir the pot'.I doubt that I will ever agree with everything that I find here,whether it be OS or TM. I was setting outside last night gazing at the stars,ready to just give up on my quest to understand the how's,why's,who's,where's and when's of 9/11.I went to bed with the aching mind and heavy heart which I have become accustomed to. I awoke this morning and was fortunate to have viewed an MSNBC program titled "Operation Yellow Ribbon".To say that it was refreshing and lifted my spirits would be an understatement.This was the story of the wonderful people of Gander,Newfoundland.It was a story of kindness.It renewed my faith in mankind,and gives me a glimmer of hope.If you weren't fortunate to see it,I will briefly detail it.The international air traffic on 9/11was diverted to Gander once U.S. airspace had been closed.This a small town of about 10,000.There were around 7,000 people on those flights that arrived in Gander.The wonderful folks there opened their hearts and their doors to those who would be stranded there for the next several days.The bus drivers were on strike,but they laid down their picket signs and their differences and joined together to transport these stranded people into their community.Food banks and shelters were put together in haste.The community as a whole came together in a time of need to help total strangers.The passengers were only allowed to have their 'carry-on' bags from the plane,so most were without clothes or basic necessities.The merchants in Gander opened their hearts with what was needed,free of charge.The pharmacy did the same.Homes were opened and left unlocked.Hot meals were served.These people have gone un-noticed,as far as I know,until today. It is my hope that those of us here at ATS,can lay down our arms,put our disagreements on hold for the moment,and acknowledge these fine people in Gander.Let us unite,if only momentarily,and say THANK YOU to Gander,Newfoundland for the kindness and generosity they shared with our fellow Americans in a time of tradegy and need. Hopefully,we have a fellow member there who can share this with them.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I have a friend who has family in Arnold's Cove. A community north of St. Johns. She tells me about how friendly everyone is, and how they will treat you like family even if they just met you. I hope to go there one day. thanks for sharing this with us.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Watching the NBC special about Gander made me so proud and happy to be a Newfoundlander. We are a very proud and friendly ppl who welcome everyone of any color and creed with open arms. How Gander/St. John's, Lewisporte, Hare Bay etc. handled the situation is just another example of how there are still good people in this world. Looks good on ya b'ys!

Sorry if I'm gushing about at this but I am very proud of my province. We are as nice as our reputation says.

[edit on 14-3-2010 by stereovoyaged]

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I hope you do get a chance to visit. Arnold's Cove is very nice indeed, i've been there. Also don't pass up a chance to visit St. John's, it is the oldest city in North America ya know

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I was born in St. John's and you will not meet nicer people then Newf's. Also keep in mind that these people that gave of themselves do not have a lot to give. A lot of towns in Newfoundland don't have much work. But most Newfie's I know would give you the shirt off their back if you needed it. Good job Gander and other parts of Canada as well. I know we put up people in Moncton N.B. too. It's just the right [read Canadian] thing to do. I love Canada!!

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Again,I thank each and every one of you.I just hate that it has taken this long for me to become aware of you wonderful people.I grew up on old second-hand National Geographic magazines and had one or two with photos of Newfoundland and told myself that I would go there one day,but never made it.Yet.Stay proud and stand tall.Hats off to you guys.

posted on Mar, 14 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Yehhh!! Gotta say Maritime proud!! I love Newfoundland. Hitched there with a buddy one time. He said he wanted a true East coast experience.

Went to Twillingate (because it was in a song I loved...ha) It was awesome. Got picked up by a Newf trucker who called everyone "Cocky" "Good day Cocky!!" Amazing story teller had us near wetting our pants. "You'll be fine Cocky, as long as ya remember to tarp your load!!"

Had loads of fun. I would have to say that Newfoundlanders set the example for the rest of Canada to follow when it came to generosity and kindness.

Islanders are nice too

[edit on 14-3-2010 by sparrowstail]

posted on Mar, 15 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by okbmd
Again,I thank each and every one of you.I just hate that it has taken this long for me to become aware of you wonderful people.I grew up on old second-hand National Geographic magazines and had one or two with photos of Newfoundland and told myself that I would go there one day,but never made it.Yet.Stay proud and stand tall.Hats off to you guys.

Don't feel bad. A lot of ppl still have no idea where we are, think we live in igloos, have no electricity or ask if we are close to Vancouver

new topics

top topics

join