It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evolution = Mutation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

This is only a theory!

So back off...

The sun is the heart of all life here on earth and in a lot of ways helped to create it!

The sun is also a natural nuclear reactor, so what I am getting at and the point of this thread is that the radiation from the sun could in effect be a cause of evolution...?

Mutation.

- an unusual change in a gene occurring spontaneously or by induction. The change affects the original expression of the gene. If a mutation occurs in the genome of a gamete, the mutation may be transmitted to later generations.

Click for source.

This could I guess apply to the missing link theory and maybe connect a few more...

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Freq Of Nature]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Freq Of Nature

As per usual people avoiding my thread

Here is an image of the sun

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
The mutations relevant to evolution are the ones that are passed down between generations, and therefore occur in the gametes, which aren't really affected by the sun, because they aren't exposed. The mutations the sun causes are generally in the skin, and they don't spread to the rest of the body unless it's terminal cancer.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I dont believe the sun causes evoltution but i do find it weird that mutations things have can be inherited and cause evolution it just seems the mutations are put in a certain gene for a specific reason, but then im not sure if you would even call that a mutation if its for a reason.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I would imagine the sun is a factor, but defiantly not the sole cause of evolution. but one could easily argue that the sun helped shape our local cluster of planets to what we see today, so the sun has a pretty significant role. but you must keep in mind that creatures near thermal vents on the bottom of the ocean evolve just as fast, (if not faster) as things that actually utilize sunlight.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mdiinican

I think your probably right!

I wan't to see a few more peoples input however. I'm guessing they will be the same after that logical explanation

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Cosmic rays that manage to make it through our atmosphere are hypothesized to lead to biological mutation. The sun is a source of cosmic, rays so it seems to be a very reasonable assumption that solar radiation would account for at least some of the biological mutation on earth

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ManAnimal

Do you have a source? I would love to read about something like that and maybe create a better theory with more information and possibilities

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
journals.lww.com...

Here's a paper I just found.
Google scholar is your friend

Unfortunately a lot of online peer review journals you have to pay for if you want the full article. I would try searching PLOS(public library of science) too, as most of their stuff is free, and pretty rigorously reviewed as well.

If there's a paper that really interests you and you can't download it then post it on this thread. I have access to most science journals so I can download it for you and send you a .pdf

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ManAnimal

Also some genes simply duplicate when the DNA is replicating, adding more genetic material. Again, if that happens in a gamete, it can be passed down.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Forms of radiation from the sun along with cosmic rays causes mutations, and if beneficial then they're probably a component of evolution.

It's a reasonable question, and I think yes they do.

Do we have indirect evidenced? Possibly, but not direct evidence.

[edit on 9-3-2010 by john124]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by davesidious

Yeah for sure.
2nd line.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by john124

We have direct evidence. UV-caused skin cancer.

It's well understood that radiation can cause mutations. The sun is no special in that. It emits tonnes of highly-energetic particles, many of which get through the atmosphere.

top topics

join