It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Laptops (Internal Optical Drives) Yes/No

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
What are your guys opinions and experiences with laptops with built-in OD's?

I'm deciding between a couple laptops...

(I got one but might return it for something else)

Do you like laptops with or without optical drives?

I don't really like od's,

i.e. I could play age of empires on my lap with my current laptop since it has no od with a disk spinning.

However...

There is another laptop I want that is at bestbuy, my current I got from walmart for $498, the one at best buy has +1 more gigs of ram, a dual core processor, larger hdd, and an od, but it doesn't have and hdmi, tv tuner, or wireless n (only b/g)

www.pcmag.com...

That guy gives good reason why no one needs a od in there laptops.

I could also get this cheaper more powerfull laptop and if the drive fails, I could simply get a usb separate one and ignore the failed one I guess and make use of the increased power/speed...????

What would you do?

Should I keep my current laptop or get the bigger more powerfull one with an opitcal drive thats about $50 cheaper, but run the risk of damaging that drive and having to purchase an external od?

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
For an average user who will take it to a shop to be worked on not having an optical driver is fine, but for serious users you kind of need one if you want to load something like Linux or BSD on the computer (yes I know about network installs, they are also a royal pain). I think the author oversimplifies the issue, I know of several pieces of legacy software I use that is only on CD in my backup collection, then you have games that require the CD to run. His issue about using networked pcs to work on a sick machine doesn't account for a dead wireless/wired network adapter, then without the cd drive he so loathes the machine would be up the creek unless he feels like ripping out the HD and slaving it up in another system.

The bottom line is that until CD/DVD media is no longer sold in stores with software, movies, and games on it I wouldn't jump on the no-OD bandwagon just yet.

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I'm deciding on if I should trade my current one in for one of these...

www.bestbuy.com...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my current one...

reviews.cnet.com...

cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

?

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Solofront]

posted on Mar, 9 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Well,the first thing you did is purchase ANYTHING from the place you got your present computer.

They use slaves to make their complete inventory,that is why they sell it so cheap.

Other than the fact they are not in the electronics business,why would you?

Word to the not so wise, a computer that is cheap to buy,was also cheaply made.

I prefer a in the machine optical drive.If it fails you can always purchase a usb external.

Edit to add.

Holy Mole, not a To#ba!Is the one from Best Buy a To#ba also?

You need to purchase a decent brand that has a decent reputation.

Check out the reviews on anything before you buy.

And don't buy anything from that other place except maybe your skivvies(underwear).

[edit on 9-3-2010 by Oneolddude]

top topics

join