It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cult of the Dead Sheep

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Who is fleecing the flocks?

Is this one of the wolves who wears sheeps clothes?
Do all members of her pack wear sheepskin, too?

Meet Medea, the mother who killed her children for revenge. Does this have any meaning in modern day events that are unfolding? Is there an ominous message behind this old story?

It is said that Medea assisted Jason in his pursuit of the golden fleece. Jason was mentored by a mythical beast, a Centaur named Chiron.

[edit on 17-2-2010 by Alethea]

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Interesting post. Do you have any more information on where this picture was taken?

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blood Eagle
Interesting post. Do you have any more information on where this picture was taken?

This was just unveiled in July, 2007. It is in Batumi, Georgia.

Later, the president attended the unveiling ceremony of a statue of Medea in the centre of town. He was accompanied by visiting Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe President Rene van der Linden and Georgian football star Kakhi Kaladze.

www.president.gov.ge...

Odd, but I don't see any additional information on the sculptor or who actually commissioned the work. Seems rather mysterious like the appearance of the Georgia Guidestones.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Not that Georgia

Batumi (formerly Batum or Batoum, Turkish: Batum) is a seaside city on the Black Sea coast and capital of Adjara, an autonomous republic in southwest Georgia. It has a population of 121,806 (2002 census).

There has been a lot of talk about the erection of the statue to Medea in Batumi. Medea is associated with the Argonauts and with medicine. This monument is a symbol of Georgia's Black Sea coast and is an attribute thereof. Georgia's Black Sea coastline begins in Ajaria and ends at the Psou River [in Abkhazia]," Saakashvili said.

Towering over the square is a striking monument, unveiled in 2007, to Medea, 'the person who brought Georgia closer to Europe,' according to Batumi's mayor at the time. The Georgian government controversially paid over 1 million GEL for the monument, sculpted by Davit Khmaladze.
www.lonelyplanet.com...
Batumi, where Medea's brother was captured by Greek solders in the Gonio fortresswww.georgianholidays.com...

It’s a tourist attraction

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pauligirl
Not that Georgia

Haha. Yes, I know. I was referring to the mystery of the two icons being similar. I cannot find any info on the artist much less the artists background. It's very odd that the creator gets no mention. There are no details concerning the height or weight of the sculpture, nor it's installment!

The Georgian government controversially paid over 1 million GEL for the monument, sculpted by Davit Khmaladze.

Thank you for finding this!!! Still it's odd that it is obscure information. Just one sentence tucked in there. Nothing about the guy's career or other achievements.

This monument is a symbol of Georgia's Black Sea coast and is an attribute thereof.

This is the explanation for it? How do you get a representation of a Black Sea coast out of a woman holding a dead lamb? I think there is a lot more to this.

It’s a tourist attraction

Maybe it is passed off as a tourist attraction, but I suspect it is another symbol of dominance and a message to those who speak to each other in the veiled signs of icons.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Moral of the Dead Sheep Cult: After you turn the lead into gold, you don't need the lead anymore.

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alethea

Maybe it is passed off as a tourist attraction, but I suspect it is another symbol of dominance and a message to those who speak to each other in the veiled signs of icons.

I don't think it's that deep.

Golden Fleece
Coming from Turkey to Georgia

Thirty-three centuries ago, Jason sailed off in a galley "Argo" with a group of Greek Heroes in search for the Golden Fleece in ancient Colchis Kingdom, ruled by powerful Ayetes; it was situated on present day's Georgian territory. Jason found here not only Golden Fleece but fell in love with Medea, Ayetes daughter.

We will be following the steps of Argonauts: From the Black Sea Port City of Batumi, where Medea's brother was captured by Greek solders in the Gonio fortress, we will drive to the uplands, to the astonishing majesty of Svaneti region, located on the southern slopes of the Great Caucasus Range.

www.georgianholidays.com...
It's the starting point of a tour

posted on Feb, 17 2010 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Opposition has been objecting to the idea of the monument fas well as to its cost from the very beginning. They assembled around the statue this morning saying hero of Medea had nothing common with Batumi. They also believe it was unreasonable to spend million GEL for gilding the statue. Along its content, the opposition disapproves the composition itself
www.geotimes.ge...

(italics mine)

Why would the populous say that Medea has nothing in common with Batumi? Do you think the article you presented is just spinning tall tales in an attempt to generate tourism and that maybe the city has no real historic connection with the myth?

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Maybe just a hint as to who might be behind the erection of this icon.

The Golden Fleece Award is presented to those public officials in the United States who the judges feel waste public money.

Established in 1975 by former U.S. Senator William Proxmire (D-Wisconsin), and issued until 1988, it was revived by the Advisory Board of the Taxpayers for Common Sense in 2000. Its name is a tangential reference to the Order of the Golden Fleece, and a play on the transitive verb to fleece, as in charging excessively for goods or services.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Opposition has been objecting to the idea of the monument fas well as to its cost from the very beginning. They assembled around the statue this morning saying hero of Medea had nothing common with Batumi. They also believe it was unreasonable to spend million GEL for gilding the statue. Along its content, the opposition disapproves the composition itself
www.geotimes.ge...

(italics mine)

Why would the populous say that Medea has nothing in common with Batumi? Do you think the article you presented is just spinning tall tales in an attempt to generate tourism and that maybe the city has no real historic connection with the myth?

More than likely.
Tourism is big business.
I think the only connection with the Golden fleece award is waste of money. Unless you happen to like women with snake hair.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

I think the only connection with the Golden fleece award is waste of money. Unless you happen to like women with snake hair.

I was implying a connection with the Order of the Golden Fleece. (not the award)

The unveiling of the statue could have something to do with a homeland base in that area. Or perhaps a signal for a phase of operation (*certain plans*) to begin.

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Wow that is a beautiful statue!

posted on Feb, 18 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   

I was implying a connection with the Order of the Golden Fleece. (not the award)

The unveiling of the statue could have something to do with a homeland base in that area. Or perhaps a signal for a phase of operation (*certain plans*) to begin.

Never heard of the Order--googled it and still don't have a clue, but then I just mixed up Medusa and Medea, so I think I'm done here.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Never heard of the Order--googled it and still don't have a clue,

The Order of the Golden Fleece, The Order of the Quest, and the Jason Society are three of the highest Illuminati orders. This statue is in reference to Order of the Golden Fleece. Obviously, the higher orders must have a strong connection with that area.

posted on Feb, 19 2010 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

The Order of the Golden Fleece is purely honorary, and its members consist almost exclusively of Europe's royal families, with a few other monarchs and heads of state thrown in. It's certainly an order with an interesting history. I personally do not believe that there is a connection between the Order and the statue beyond a common reference to a myth that is centered in the Black Sea region.

I have read articles hypothesizing that the myth of Jason and the Golden Fleece is an allegory connected with alchemy. My memory fails me, but I believe this is a purely speculative line of thought. The Colchis region has been associated with many other esoteric and alchemical topics; see the amaranth plant, and the Swedish Ordo Amaranta.

It's my instinct, however, that this particular statue is an effort to, in a sense, de-Russify the Republic of Georgia and emphasize the distinct cultural history of that nation, linking it with the ancient kingdoms of the Black Sea and Mediterranean region.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The first thought I had when I saw that Statue was of the movie Avatar. The statue itself shares a creepy resemblance to the Na'vi in that movie.

Just me?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Ram/sheep imagery became popular all over the world when the astrological progression switched from the Age of Taurus to the Age of Aries, around 4,000 years ago You also have the Mithraic Cult, with its central issue of the slaying of a bull, representing the end of the age of Taurus. Israeli ram's horns, the legend of the golden fleece...these and others are ram imagery from the Aage of Aries. This age was replaced by the Age of Pisces around the time Christ was born, which is why there is so much fish imagery in Christian imagery (the "fish sign," Christ's aposles as "fishers of men," the Pope's fishhead mitre, etc.).

join