It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

57 Million Americans Sickened by H1N1 Flu: CDC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
- Ah, swineflu? Its nothing, no news. Just 17 000 died, and with my counts from estimate - only 8000 more will die just in US in few coming months... And next to more interresting issue: Britney Spears and her new sunglasses, she just bought from Paris!

FRIDAY, Feb. 12 (HealthDay News)

-- With the H1N1 swine flu pandemic apparently winding down, federal health officials said Friday that about 57 million Americans have suffered through the illness since last April, and the total could range as high as 84 million.

In addition, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that as many as 378,000 people were hospitalized due to H1N1 flu and up to 17,160 Americans may have died from the virus. The death toll so far remains less than half that seen in flu seasons before the advent of the new H1N1 strain. According to the CDC, in prior years some 36,000 Americans died from influenza during a typical season.

Hospitalizations were much higher with H1N1, however; in prior seasons, a little more than 200,000 people are typically hospitalized, the agency said.

www.usnews.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
- Ah, swineflu? Its nothing, no news. Just 17 000 died, and with my counts from estimate - only 8000 more will die just in US in few coming months... And next to more interresting issue: Britney Spears and her new sunglasses, she just bought from Paris!

FRIDAY, Feb. 12 (HealthDay News)

-- With the H1N1 swine flu pandemic apparently winding down, federal health officials said Friday that about 57 million Americans have suffered through the illness since last April, and the total could range as high as 84 million.

In addition, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimates that as many as 378,000 people were hospitalized due to H1N1 flu and up to 17,160 Americans may have died from the virus. The death toll so far remains less than half that seen in flu seasons before the advent of the new H1N1 strain. According to the CDC, in prior years some 36,000 Americans died from influenza during a typical season.

Hospitalizations were much higher with H1N1, however; in prior seasons, a little more than 200,000 people are typically hospitalized, the agency said.

www.usnews.com...

57 million and it still has a lower mortality rate than the seasonal flu.

This is not big news.

This is a last ditch attempt to dig up a little more fear out of a dying story.

Also, they say 'estimates that as many as 378,000 people were hospitalized due to H1N1 flu and up to 17,160 Americans may have died from the virus.'

So basically, any body who died who showed symptoms was included in this statistic. They didnt even have a definitive way to ID H1N1 for the first months =, meaning they just ASSUMED that that is what people had.

Dont buy it, not scared, not getting a vaccine.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
H1N1 hit harder than seasonal flu

www.montrealgazette.com...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
H1N1 hit harder than seasonal flu

www.montrealgazette.com...

I'm not sure which side of this argument you are on, but a couple things about your source:

1)Not one statistic is mentioned. They simply say it hit harder. Not exactly proof there.
2)Two sources claiming how bad H1N1 are in this thread, and both quote grossly different numbers as far as mortality for H1N1
3)There is no(and is never) any mention of what OTHER symptoms the patients presented with. Someone has H1N1, and asthma, and needs to be put on a ventilator, and, guess what? They get marked as a statistic for all of the H1N1 patients on ventilators.

Still not buying...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

in prior years some 36,000 Americans died from influenza during a typical season.

due to H1N1 flu and up to 17,160 Americans may have died from the virus.

So to date, H1N1 has roughly half the mortality rate of a typical flu?

The death toll so far remains less than half that seen in flu
seasons before the advent of the new H1N1 strain.

Yep, that seems to be what they're saying.

only 8000 more will die just in US in few coming months

17,160 + 8000 = 25,160.

So, if the estimate is correct, H1N1 will have only 70% the mortality rate of a typical flu virus.

Why are we concerned about this again?

[edit on 12-2-2010 by LordBucket]

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

hahahahahahaha wow! oh dear. I feel sorry for you. Thanks I needed that.
Hope the koolaid tastes nice.

The Toronto sun recently ran an article talking about the cases of Guillan Barre Syndrome that came about from the shot and earlier in the year they ran a story about how they had misreported a few deaths from meningitis as being H1N1 and then theres the wonderful inaccuracy of statistics but sure hey you believe what you want and I'll seek the truth.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
If I remember correctly, the WHO told hospitals not to test for H1N1 and that any flu like symptoms would be reported as H1N1 without further testing. The investigations that are going on about this are because they tried to scare us in to buying the shot.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Forgive me if i'm wrong, but isn't that about 1 in 5 Americans ??
I have yet to meet 1 single person that has suffered with the swine flu.

Regards

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
"H1N1 hit harder than seasonal flu

www.montrealgazette.com..."

I wouldn't trust a word in the Montreal Gazette article because they were one of the sponsors of a George W. Bush visit to Montreal. I think they lost what little credibility they may have had remaining by sponsoring an alleged war criminal:

www.cpcml.ca...

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Ah, swineflu? Its nothing, no news.

First time I read this I assumed the OP was being sarcastic. But after a second time through, I suspect he was being serious. Hey OP...care to clarify? The big number in the title and the Britney spears comment appears to have led some of us to believe you were being sarcastic.

Were you? Or were you simply quoting the CDC to demonstrate that H1N1 isn't a big deal?

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Like I have said in a previous thread. I became infected with the swine flu after a trip to Cancun. I didn't get any vaccination and ive literally had colds that were worse than this. I was better in a weeks time. Unless I have some ninja-like immune system (I dont) I still think its bologna.

posted on Feb, 12 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
In Britain, where they've now closed the book on H1N1 as a non-event (less fatal than food poisoning), anyone calling in to the doctor with the flu was listed as a victim of H1N1.

I'd like to see the actual lab results that show the number of people affected. A lot of statistics are simply created out of vague guesswork.

Why was H1N1 a big deal? Let's follow the money trail by way of the easy ones.....

Medimmune/FluMist - $90M initial order paid for by federal funds.
McKesson - Sells 80,000,000 doses of the vaccine per year, with no return policy, paid for by federal funds.
Glaxosmithkline - has won orders for H1N1 swine flu vaccine from nine governments, for a total number of doses ordered to 300+ million, with more orders still to come. Potential windfall: $3 billion in the next six months or so.
CSL - has received $180 million contract from the U.S. for H1N1 flu vaccine and an order for 21 million doses from Australia. It expected to book sales of about $250 million from swine flu vaccines in the year to 2010.

Looks like big pharma did rather well out of this scare.

Examination of a series of statements made by 42 Congressmen revealed that Genentech, the world's largest biotechnology company, has been ghostwriting industry-favorable speech content for Congressmen to recite during health care reform oratory.
(source: www.naturalnews.com...)

Roche owns Genentech. They make Tamiflu. Although sales of Tamiflu soared last year, they are expected to fall sharply in 2010, to 1.2bn Swiss francs from 3.2bn Swiss francs in 2009.
Remember the 1976 scare brought to you by Rumsfeld? Where was he working just before he joined the Shrub cabinet...

Dig deeper people. This H1N1 scare was all about lining the pockets of the few at the expense of the nation's wealth, and the people's health.

top topics

join