It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We missed Armagedon! Comet impact 536 AD. Plagues, starvation and all

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Wow after reading all the predictions in that section of ATS I was amazed that most of the predictions involving comets and asteroids allready happend only a few hundred years after christs death to boot!

www.sciencedaily.com...

We would really be no better off today than they were 1500 years ago. At least most of the world wouldnt be.

X

[Edited on 24-5-2004 by Xeven]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
weird, i had always thought the dark ages where just a lack of knowledge about that time because the church decided to burn any writings that conflicted in their belief system

well u learn somefink new every day

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Ehhh... I realize it's for a PhD thesis, but count me among the hardcore skeptics here on this one. Interesting theory, but the length of the winter and the amount of ejecta needed to create a nuclear winter don't seem to match up with a comet hitting the atmosphere. And there was no such effect/event during the last "little ice age" during the 1600's.

Although the state of science suffered greatly in Europe during the Dark Ages, you have to remember that Europe wasn't the whole world. Science continued in the Middle East, in Asia, in India, in Northern Africa, and so forth. They certainly knew when the annual meteor showers occurred, and I think they identified some of the short-term comets. The Greeks and Babylonians had a fairly sophisticated astronomy, and although it was lost to Christian Europe for a time, it flourished in other areas.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Interesting read, however keep in mind that almost all of this is speculation. There are no documents citing this and proving it would be a daunting task to say the least.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
i saw something on TV about a huge popualtion decrease. they said it was due to a asteroid, or mabye a volcano i cant remember....they talked about the human race being narrowed down to only a few hundred people. they figured that by using gene data. fewer people means a smaller gene pool. thats all i can remember about it, but it made a lot of sense when i was watching it

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I've heard of that too, supposedly a so called "super volcano" erupted around 75,000 years ago, wiping out much of the human population at that time.

www.armageddononline.org...

[Edited on 5/25/2004 by Shadow]

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by acidhead
weird, i had always thought the dark ages where just a lack of knowledge about that time because the church decided to burn any writings that conflicted in their belief system

well u learn somefink new every day

I was taught the dark ages where causes by the fall of the roman empier.On withdrawing from europe,the order that was in forced by the romans was lost,tribes and clans attacked romans citys burning them to nothing.Its thanks to the middle-east that they picked up the books of Galen and the doctors of that time,plus all the writings of a greeks which the romans stole on defeating Greece.Then,due to trade,these books found there way back to europe and a few people took noitce and began to practice what was wrote down.In time everyone went to doctors inside of priests to be healed.

Yay for the history lesson.

jra

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I too was under the impression that the Dark ages were caused by the fall of the Roman Empire.

join