It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shattering the Exahertz barrier!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Even as we speak, (or type, in this case) Experts at Intel are trying to break the Exahertz barrier. Nevermind Terrahertz, we're there! Nevermind Petahertz, it's on paper and should be obsolete by the year 2030.

This Topic may seem a bit ambiguous, but where do you see computers with Exahertz processing capabilities going?

Will microchips finally replace damaged brain tissue?

Will we come up with HD eye implants?

Will those impaired at birth finally have the good life...perhaps better than yours and mine?

Let me know! BTW, rate me high !

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Have you got any links we can look at?

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zzub
Have you got any links we can look at?

Here are a couple relevant discussions on this aubject.

Brain Merged with Microchip

Israeli Computer Made from DNA

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
More to reality is that Intel is finaly beginning to see that the Hertz quotation of their CPU's is failing and for that they created the Centrino CPU wich clocks at half to 1/3 of the frequency a P4 does, that is more performant per clock cycle, just like AMD chips are more performant per clock cycle then Intel chips.

The future of computing is not in high frequency's, mainly because those high frequency's are expencive to implement and cause masive heating.

More and more research is done towards doing more operations per single clock cycle then in conventional CPU's.
Dec Alpha and other specialized CPU's have been doing this for a long time. Causing the high end chips like alpha's at say 500Mhz being more performant then a 3Ghz intel chip or a 2Ghz AMD chip.

What do you think is fastest, cheapest and even more important, most feasable, a 1Ghz CPU that does 1000 operations per clock cycle, or a 1Thz CPU that does 1 operation per clock cycle?

Its the float operations per second that count, not the cycles per second a CPU can do.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
mmm, maybe you don't know, but the clock speed IS the speed of intruction execution.

anyway, forget about DNA cpu's, those are good only for nanobots in our body (killing cancer cells, repairing cells, etc).

The next big thing in cumputer science is Quantum Computers, which means lots of operations during the time of one operation (it doesn't means it can do each operation quickly, it just means he can do hell lots of them simultaniously).

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Umm are these technologies silicon based? The reason why I asked is because there are three new technologies that I have been following that could usher in a whole new era in computing that make our current desktops look like an abacus in comparison. One of these is the DNA computer which is where true quantum computing is most likely to come from. The other two, Spintronics and Optical seem like they are much closer to the massmarket than DNA computing and will have a much more imidiate impact within the next 10 years. Where do you guys see Spintronics and Optichips by 2015? I also read an interesting article the other day on spintronics in some computer magazine when I was in the dentist, and it pretty much said scientist have discovered an oddity with Spintronics experiments. The oddity is that it doesn't generate as much heat as predicted by the second law of thermodynamics, and the researchers proposed that the law may have to be adapted at some point. Sorry I can't remeber the name of the mag and I didn't read the whole article either, I just thought I would throw that into the thread

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Transc3ndent
mmm, maybe you don't know, but the clock speed IS the speed of intruction execution.

FLOPS are the amount of instruction executions, clock frequency is a method to obtain FLOPS, but is far from the definition. And as for speed, if you can execute a 1000 operations in a single clock cycle, it'll be alot faster in solving a calculation then a CPU that runs higher frequency's but can only do 1 ops per cycle. Its much easyer to make a say 3Ghz CPU that does a 1000 operations per cycle, then to make a 3Thz CPU that does 1 ops per cycle.

anyway, forget about DNA cpu's, those are good only for nanobots in our body (killing cancer cells, repairing cells, etc).

The next big thing in cumputer science is Quantum Computers, which means lots of operations during the time of one operation (it doesn't means it can do each operation quickly, it just means he can do hell lots of them simultaniously).

Quantum Computing is just what I said above, doing a massive amount of operations in a single clock cycle. First you say I'm mistaken(eg: "maybe you don't know"), then you say exactly the same as I did

EDIT: why isn't it showing the colors, but the tags instead?

EDIT2: ok I give up on the tags, they show correctly in the Preview Post page

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by thematrix]

join