It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm kind of nervous about having my first lucid dream?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
OK, I've gotten close to obtaining full consciousness in my dreams, but the last time (my closest to date), I freaked out and woke up. Now I'm kind of nervous. Can some people who have had lucid dreams tell me about their first one? You see, I'm worried about losing touch to reality. I'm afraid it would become like a drug to me, that'd I would start living in that world instead of this one. But I really want to obtain lucidity. Also, can you feel pain in a lucid dream? Can other people/creatures/thoughtforms be hurt?
I would appreciate if the some advanced lucid dreamers would respond?

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mjl_says
OK, I've gotten close to obtaining full consciousness in my dreams, but the last time (my closest to date), I freaked out and woke up. Now I'm kind of nervous. Can some people who have had lucid dreams tell me about their first one? You see, I'm worried about losing touch to reality. I'm afraid it would become like a drug to me, that'd I would start living in that world instead of this one. But I really want to obtain lucidity. Also, can you feel pain in a lucid dream? Can other people/creatures/thoughtforms be hurt?

1) As long as you know it's not real, and have a common sense, it won't be addictive.

2) Considering you realize everything is fake in a lucid dream, you can decide if you want pain or not. Usually you don't feel any pain at all.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Touch of reality? saying that says you are not in touch, which is a paradox, and when paradoxes occur, man is wrong.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by mjl_says

I don't remember my first lucid dream. That's probably because it was all a rather long drawn out process and my ability to dream lucidly came with time and experience and also with trust in my own mind not to go, well, I don't know how to put it, but, insane is the best way I can think of it rignt now. Have fun with it. It is, after all, your dreams and your mind. Don't fret about this. Just sit back and enjoy the ride, after all, you are in control of your dreams. That's what lucid dreaming is all about! If you let yourself go "too far", your subconscious WILL pull you back. One last bit of advice. Don't fear where your mind will take you. You are after all, your own mind.
I still can't totally control all of the lucid dreams. But it sure is fun trying. Have you ever heard the idea that if you are falling in a dream and if you actually hit the ground, or whatever, you will die? It ain't so.

I have let myself fall completely, actually did it on purpose in my dreams, and what happened when I hit the ground, or whatever? Wow! Great explosions of colors and emotions and then the dreams continued on without my, seemingly control. Now those dreams are way cool to experience. I admit, when I wake up from those, I am quite disoriented for a while, but so what? Man, play with your dreams! And HAVE FUN!!

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I want to add a few things. I flagged you because I want this thread to be boosted in hope that others will come here and not poo poo you, or get "all wee weed up".
But that others will post their experiences. The star is because I am glad you brought this to my attention.

I also use lucid dreaming to work out problems I am having with compositions I am considering when I paint. I haven't become addicted to it at all. I am lucky if I get 4 hours of sleep a day. Yes, I would like more, but it just doesn't happen for me. But the lucid dreaming has helped me very much in working out problems, not just of painting, but as a way to sort out various situations that cause me concerrn.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Can some people who have had lucid dreams tell me about their first one?

My first lucid dream was a totally unplanned event. I was dreaming I was on a boat that was being crushed and eaten by a shark. Then quite suddenly and for no obvious reason I realized I was dreaming and that I could do anything I wanted. So I stopped the boat from sinking and made the shark leave it alone. Then I realized how incredibly short-sighted that was, so I flew away and replaced the boat the water the shark and everything else with an entirely new dream.

Years later I found out that this was called lucid dreaming.

I'm worried about losing touch to reality.

...if you're lucid, wouldn't you be more in touch with reality than if you're dreaming an uncontrolled fantasy world with your brain on auto-pilot?

can you feel pain in a lucid dream?

I personally never have. And only fear on one occassion that I recall.

I suspect that it would be possible to. After all, you are the one in control. So if you choose to create pain, yes I imagine it would be possible to experience pain. But if you don't want to, then don't. That's kind of the whole point of being lucid. It's up to you.

I'm afraid it would become like a drug to me, that'd
I would start living in that world instead of this one.

Hmm. It might be possible. I don't know. The closest I've come to that being a problem myself is simply wanting to dream lucidly more often than I'm able to actually pull it off. It's kind of nice being able to do absolutely anything you want. But being 'stuck there' has never been a problem.

Can other people/creatures/thoughtforms be hurt?

Well...I suppose you want reassurace that it they can't be hurt, but to be fair, how would we know? If you're really concerned about it, I suppose you could simply make a point of not intending to hurt anything. I have on a few occassions felt like certain "characters" in some of my dreams were actually conscious beings paying me a visit rather than simply something I made up, but on those few occassions, taking advantage of my lucidness to try to hurt them has never occurred to me. In any case, I would think that since you're aware, you'd be less likely to hurt anyone that if you're not aware, right?

If it is possible to hurt someone while dreaming, wouldn't it be far better for everyone if you were to dream lucidly all the time so you can make certain that you don't?

[edit on 23-10-2009 by LordBucket]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Dreams are merely neurons firing in the lower brain stem and the brains attempt to interpret them. If you think you're escaping your own reality, then you've got another thing coming. However, it is entirely possible that dreams are based on a wish fulfilment principal? You could be possibly living a life that you want in your dreams because your lacking in this one.

Oh, and you dream every night just so you know. So I guess all those times between the 'last time' you were in your alternate reality and the next time you will be are just unimportant. Don't worry, nothing cool happens in the second reality/consciousness anyway.

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mjl_says
OK, I've gotten close to obtaining full consciousness in my dreams, but the last time (my closest to date), I freaked out and woke up.

I did my first time also.

Now I'm kind of nervous.

Don't be. It's just a dream.

Can some people who have had lucid dreams tell me about their first one?

My first one: I was walking down a road in my hometown and I realized I was dreaming. I thought to myself that if I could sink into the road, I could, and did. Then I woke up all excited.

You see, I'm worried about losing touch to reality. I'm afraid it would become like a drug to me, that'd I would start living in that world instead of this one.

Don't be afraid. It's not like you can do it all the time. At least I can't.

Also, can you feel pain in a lucid dream?

I did.

Can other people/creatures/thoughtforms be hurt?

Not sure, but since they are a figment of our conscienous, who really cares?

I wouldn't call myself advanced but have had a handfull of experiences. All mine were good. Try flying sometime. It's fun as hell.

[edit on 23-10-2009 by Nutter]

posted on Oct, 23 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred
I have let myself fall completely, actually did it on purpose in my dreams, and what happened when I hit the ground, or whatever? Wow! Great explosions of colors and emotions and then the dreams continued on without my, seemingly control.

Wow. I have had the EXACT same experience.

top topics

join