It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

colonial house

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
do i watched the premiere of this show on PBS last night called colonial house. basically its people living as people did back in the days of the may flower (early 1600's, approximately 1628)

its pretty interesting to see people with romanticized ideas of what "the good ole days" were like and watch them as they find out whats it was really like back then...

now PBS had two series before this, manor house (set in england and i didnt care for it) and then they had frontier house (back when people were settling montana, where this took place) which was a good show IMO. of course the people on frontier house were judged on how well prepared they were for the coming winter (based on historical references) and all of them failed. not one house had enough firewood for more than a month, they didnt have enough hay for their livestock...but it was interesting to see how things were back then.

anyway if any of you watch PBS check out colonial house, i think its worth a looksee into the past of americas history.

its on again tonite and i think its playing all week. not sure, check you local listings!

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I watched it for a little while last night, yeah it was pretty interesting.

I thought it was funny how no one wanted to go out and get the field ready to plant the corn though. Just like in today's world, everybody wants it done for them and right now.

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
yeah it wasnt all too surprising for me.

the field looked horrible and they had to do it with their hands and hoes. manual labor isnt their forte.

the muskrats though.....jeez! what a "gift" that was...lol

that field does look bad, i doubt anythign will grow there...or that much if anything does..

posted on May, 18 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Ya, I watched it too. It was pretty good. I am going to watch the second part today.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
i watched the next two episodes last night...

its not bad, trying to enforce puritanical laws doesnt work in this day and age and i think ole jeff realized that. i know he's just trying to add a sense of realism by trying to make it seem like it did back then which is the entire point of them doing this and everyone else desides the preacher jsut wasnt having it.

the second episode was pretty good, the rest of jeff's family returns along with 8 more new colonialists.

it was also nice to seem them working together making a shipment to return...

the only part i didnt like about this series so far was the guy coming out DURING sabbath services.

WTF does it matter? it appeared to me he was being himself before he comes out and tells the entire village this so what was the point? it was nice to see noone made a big deal out it either way. and i'm hoping this will be the last time this is ever brought up. this is about colonialism, not about coming out of the closet, his sexuality is of no concern to anyone there i imagine. and if they had stuck true to colonial attitudes he'd be gone.

the one thing thats getting on my nerves is that the people arent trying to get into their roles 100%. they want to whine and complain about being an atheist attending the sabbath or a woman complaining about being put in the role she's in...the idea of the show is to give 21st century americans what is was like in the 1600's. i think this will still give them a good impression about how good they have it here in the present compared to the past. no things were not fair back then and i dont agree with the culture but if i VOLUNTARILY went on the show i'd have to play by the rules and give it my best effort.

i also noticed that its already available on DVD...i might get it.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
That show looks interesting. We had one in England a few years about life in the Iron age and it had the makings of an extremely good show. Unfortunately the producers didn't exactly choose wisely when selecting people to actually live there. The very first night they didn't start cooking until it was getting dark and so ended up eating undercooked chicken - with the obvious results. The show went downhill from there resulting in a visit from the Health Authority at one time. Plus some of the 'volunteers' insisted on wearing rubber boots because it was raining !

They should have had 'Living History' people doing it instead. That would have made it true-to-life.

posted on May, 19 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
i agree but...it wouldnt be as fun to watch.

i love history even though i hated it as a kid and its fun to see ordinary people in these kinds of shows.

screw survivor and those other "reality" shows...this stuff shows us what life was really like, hard rough and miserable.

really makes us wonder if the human race can survive with people like this if everything went to hell tommorow and we had to live off the land again.

new topics

top topics

join