It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tamiflu in Rivers Could Breed Drug-Resistant Flu Strains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Wired has an interesting article currently.

The premier flu-fighting drug is contaminating rivers downstream of sewage-treatment facilities, researchers in Japan confirm. The source: urinary excretion by people taking oseltamivir phosphate, best known as Tamiflu.

Concerns are now building that birds, which are natural influenza carriers, are being exposed to waterborne residues of Tamiflu’s active form and might develop and spread drug-resistant strains of seasonal and avian flu.

This I know has been discussed, and a few months back when I faced the 'do I let my little girl take Tamiflu' question (as she had swine flu) I had some interesting talks with my brother. In the end we did not use it as it passed and I am happy that choice was made.

However, my discussions with my brother were based around the fact he is doing a Masters in Pharmaceuticals. I asked him what he thought of Tamiflu and how harmful it could be. His answer was that he could see nothing dangerous in the drug (as drugs go), and it had the normal side-effects of many of todays drugs (obviously if you get some of the severe side effects then you would argue that it is dangerous!). However, what interested him was the fact is was an active agent, meaning if enough of it was used then it will build up in the sewage systems/rivers which in turn will mean it enters the eco-system. That's potentially bad news for next year, or the year after.... quick fix now but screws things up later. He thought that was bad news.

Enjoy the article.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AlwaysQuestion

Brings to mind the anti-bacterial soaps, that people are using.

We are going to be responsible for creating the next new super bug. Not any government.

Again, just my humble opinion. . . .

edit to add, S&F

[edit on 1-10-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

I agree - we clean up and protect so much that it seems inevitable that either bacteria get more virile or our immune systems get weaker...

join