It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am concerned that NZ might have a big quake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Considering our shaky state - meaning that we have a lot of earthquakes, and considering that we have a couple of big ones surrounding us, I am concerned that NZ might have the next major quake.

We have a history of devastating quakes.

So, are we prepared?

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Considering the recent activity in the area around NZ, i can understand your concern....

It wouldn't surprise me if the area will keep shaking for some time with fairly large events all along the northern border of the Indo-Australian plate...

Good luck to anybody in the area....

Peace

[edit on 1/10/2009 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

I can understand your concern after hearing about what's been happening in the South Pacific lately. There's been a lot of weird happenings, the earthquakes and the red sky in Australia.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I've been to NZ, lovely place full of good people.

That's what you need if things really get bad.

You'll be fine.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
as longs the big ones stay in the lower south island of NZ we should be ok. The 7.8 quake a couple of months ago did hardly any major damage and no injuries at all due to the lack of population down there.

If a huge one struck anywhere else in NZ it could be a major disaster though.

Go to www.prepare.co.nz

they have lots of emergency supplies incase of a big quake.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
The building standards in NZ mean that if a moderate one occurs you should be relatively safe aslong as you dont stand in the middle of the house (corners are great for seeking shelter as are doorways no matter what people might say otherwise.)

If your also on coastal areas and and the quake is big enough to send your TV or fridge across the room then i'd suggest going to the nearest high point and waiting it out (a small portable radio with AAA batteries would come in handy for up-to date reports as your waiting for anything to occur.)

However the risk is always there for NZ, wether the Pacific Plate is currently experiencing jolts moving East or not. The longer you go without a quake the bigger one will eventually be.

Stay safe.

posted on Oct, 1 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Don't worry about it.

You can't predict when it will happen, so don't think about it.

That said, you can predict *that* it will happen with a certain amount of certainty, so take a bit of time to get batteries in the flashlight, review the safety precautions, and make sure everything that should be bolted down is bolted down.

It's easy to get complacent. We all forget why we don't keep the glassware on the high shelves, or why we had the monitor bolted to the desk, or why hanging your bass guitar on the wall isn't a very good idea...

...and then we wake up at three in the morning to the sound of breaking glassware and the monitor hitting the floor, accompanied by the sound of a 6 string bass being struck repeatedly against a wall.

Do it now, or sweep it up later. You'll sleep better.

Probably.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

How are you all hanging down there after those two hickups???

Hope everything is okay!!!

Peace

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Don't fear quakes the building standards in NZ are pretty good.

Just follow what the tell you and prepare. And stay the heck away from the coast afterwords.

You people down there have them daily and you don't even feel them.

And keep an eye on them volcanoes too.

posted on Oct, 2 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I am also concerned about the recent spate of earthquakes around our beautiful country. I experienced the Edgecumbe earthquake in 1987 and that was pretty terrifying seeing cars rocking left to right, and giant window panes bending inwards and then smashing to smithereens on the outward motion. I've never seen a window bend inwards before.

www.sciencemuseum.org.uk...

www.teara.govt.nz...

www.whatstheplanstan.govt.nz...

www.civildefence.govt.nz...

A few links to natural disasters which have occurred in NZ, mostly earthquake sites.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Given our last biggie that did some real damage was quite a while ago (Napier Quake of 1931), where definitely getting close to that time when ones gotta hit inland and a populated area.

Originally posted by calcoastseeker
Don't fear quakes the building standards in NZ are pretty good.

Heh given the old leaky home fiasco, I wouldn't put much weight behind that statement

With the recent upheavals and the situation in Samoa and Tonga, im glad I move from Auckland 8 years ago... sure its hardly seismically active, but if a big quake ever hit it, every one of the 'mounts' around the area would pop their tops... maybe not, but you never know.

[edit on 6-10-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Yeah, NZ is quite close to an active fault line. Id say the south island would be at a greater risk due to its close proximity to the fault line near Macquarie Island.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Yeah, NZ is quite close to an active fault line. Id say the south island would be at a greater risk due to its close proximity to the fault line near Macquarie Island.

heh 'quite' close?... you mean New Zealand IS a fault line, We bleeding well straddle two tectonic plates
actually when you think about it New Zealand is nothing but the visable material where the two plates go under and over each other.

posted on Oct, 6 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Don't forget my home town Gisborne December 21 2007, was a 6.8.

1 dead and about 20 injured with a lot of damage to buildings. Still rebuilding today...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1200849b3848.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/3ce1a21a87dd.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e03b8646ae3b.png[/atsimg]

add pic

[edit on 6-10-2009 by greenfruit]

new topics

top topics

join