It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assissted Suicide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This isn't a hot topic in the news right now or anything (that I know of), but I was talking about it with some friends today. Anyways, I was just curious as to what you guys think about it.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
if you really want to commit suicide, do it yourself, why do you need anyone to assist you.

people are just too scared to suffer. If you life is so horrible that suicide is your option, then the pain of a botched attempt shouldn't be a problem. Just do it your damn self.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I meant moreso in regards to people afflicted with some sort of illness that renders them completely immobile. Or people with some sort of illness that makes every day of their life a living hell due to extreme pain or the inability to do... anything.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
well i'm going to be harsh with this, since i don't condone suicide and consider it weakness and easy way for some people.

like i said if someone is in so much pain (illness, immobile, whatever) and life so miserable that suicide is the best option, then find a way to kill themselves, why should anyone have to help and make it easier for them to die. Life is too precious and a gift, not to be taken for granted or lightly.

i don't want to give you specifics on how these people could commit suicide but i can think of a few options...yeah they might not be quick, easy and painless but they would work non the less.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 09:33 PM
link   
WW, how rude of you... What's happenning, I ain't recognising you? Have we touched a sensible nerve? I really think that was undeserved.

ANyway, I think he/she was more talking of situation like... When the person really can't do anything on his own. Like people who only live because machines keep them alive, etc... Or people who are in coma for a long time, and have expressed the will to die, somehow, etc..

I'm all for it. ANd keeping people in hospitals for too long only cost more money to the people who works.

Hell, if one day I wish to die but can't kill my self, because of physical restriction or something, I'd love if somebody could end it for me.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
That's pretty much the way I feel about it m0rbid. And you hit the nail on the head when you said "people who only live because machines keep them alive." That's exactly what I was talking about.

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
it's their life, to keep or give up. noone should have the right to tell them "hey we know its your body and your life but we dont think you should be able to to what you want to yourself"

yet people feel that taking a fetus out of a woman's womb and destroying it is perfectly ok even though that was a future human being with a life all its own.

amazing how we want to destroy future life but not ease the suffering of those who are already living.

and these posts from worldwatcher does seem out of character...

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
my apologies for throwing you guys off, I know it is out of character for saying what I said, but last night I was in a really pissy mood and lost all sympathy and compassion for humanity for a few hours. Meditation and focus has put me back into my usual perspective.

to clarify, someone medically kept alive should be able to get assistance for ending their lives or have the option to pull their own plugs.

but suicide should not be an excuse for getting out a difficult life.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
my apologies for throwing you guys off, I know it is out of character for saying what I said, but last night I was in a really pissy mood and lost all sympathy and compassion for humanity for a few hours. Meditation and focus has put me back into my usual perspective...
but suicide should not be an excuse for getting out a difficult life.

Thanks for clearing things up WW. I can understand such frustration as I have faced that kind of thing time and time again. Sorry you had felt that way for a bit, though.

Suicide is weird, in that nobody really knows if its the solution that some people think it may be or if it makes the problem worse. People can easily say that suicide is a sign of people who have become weak towards negativity, but I think it has to be a lot more complicated than that. Particularly when someone tries to kill themselves and completely fails, and I am not talking about attention-seeking suicidals. I mean that sometimes people fail to kill themselves even after they engage in actions which would usually kill someone, and this seems to illustrate the complexity I am speaking of.

[Edited on 5/13/2004 by AlnilamOmega]

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
last night I was in a really pissy mood and lost all sympathy and compassion for humanity for a few hours.

Hey, no worries, we all get these moments too

It just really surprised me as you always been acting so civil and polite. Really threw me off.

Glad you're ok now.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
It comes down to the fact that suicide alone is illegal. I'm morally against it, but it should not be illegal. I see it like heroin or something. Let them do it to themselves, its not hurting me and therefore should not be a crime. If they need help to live, then they have a right to deny that help.

Don't the Japanese find honor or a release of shame in taking one's own life or having someone respectable do it for you in certain cases. That would make it a religous issue, not a legal issue. You could even make a switch they could hit with their tongue to inject poison if you're worried about the whole murder stance.

Besides, I'd like to know of someone who was gonna commit suicide, but didn't because they didn't want to break the law.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Yeah, I think it's a moral / religious issue more than a state issue. I don't know of any states where assisted suicide is legal, but I think some states have tried to legalize it. I'm not sure though.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey
yet people feel that taking a fetus out of a woman's womb and destroying it is perfectly ok even though that was a future human being with a life all its own.

amazing how we want to destroy future life but not ease the suffering of those who are already living.

ITA , Prank Monkey. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I just can't imagine having "harsh" feelings toward suicide, as WW says. Even if the suicide was the end result of a miserable life as opposed to an extremely physically painful one.

I've suffered mentally and emotionally my fair share and I can certainly understand why someone would commit suicide. Life can be brutal, especially if you're poor. It can literally SUCK.

In my opinion, only someone living a nice cushy set-up, free of financial worries could be capable of kicking those who are already down. It's partially because of attitudes like that I'm sure that some people end up offing themselves.

What these people need is compassion and empathy BEFORE they take that irreversible step.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Colored memories from back in the day sees Dr. Jack Kevorkian constantly on the news here in Detroit. Now he "rots in prison" and will end up a great American folk-hero in the distant future, straight outta Vonnegut novel

Like gay marriage, assisted suicide is an issue we will look back on in 40-45 years as wondering what all the fuss is about. Old people totally disabled and in pain are a waste of our dwindling resources, and should have every right to choose a peaceful death.

posted on May, 14 2004 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I've always found it slightly amusing that suicide is illegal simply because there is no possible way that it can be enforced.
Even failed suicide attempts aren't prosecuted. I'm not exactly an expert on the subject, but I believe that only psychiatric counseling is required.

As far as euthanasia is concerned, if a person is being kept alive only by machines, go ahead and pull the plug.

top topics

join