It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant 'meat-eating' plant found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
not so fragile, but it was the best match i could find....

The pitcher plant is among the largest of all pitchers and is so big that it can catch rats as well as insects in its leafy trap.

BBC

Big enough to get a rat!!!!!

Now, this is just what has been found.... so far.....

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Interesting! Here is a working link for your source:

news.bbc.co.uk...

Just my 2-cents

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I used to have a venesian (lol) fly trap and I want one of those things! I could feed the neighbors to it... j/k but hecj yeah.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
very very very interesting. I LOVE how even today we are finding new things around this planet. The sad thing is I'm 21 and no one else i know around my age knows or cares about these kind of finds and think the planet has been ventured all over and we've found just about everything there is.... lol i think not!
AND to me it seems not only that we're finding new species all the time but some are advancing or evolving aswell. IMHO this planet is changing and everything on and around it. goood find!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Feed me Seymour, Feed ME!!!!!
That was a great flick, that is the first thing I thought of when I saw this.

Nature is so awesome. Hundreds of species go extinct and hundreds more get found.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
If they can be grown in different area's. think of the pest control issues it could help with.

Maybe grow them in-between crops???

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
If they can be grown in different area's. think of the pest control issues it could help with.

Maybe grow them in-between crops???

Carnivorous plants naturally grow in peaty soil. Soil that is extremely acidic and constantly saturated with water, or in soil which is essentially void of the essential nutrients needed by most plants.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
it's amazing how nature figures all of this out.
from the shape to the colors. (obviously trial and error and some chaos sprinkled in)

i also admire nature being able to somehow create complimentary color sets for each object. (as in "why don't we see colors that don't live together on the color wheel in nature?)

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by zooplancton

I find it truly amazing.....

The more we search, the more interesting/strange things we find...

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Nepenthes attenboroughii!!

Named after one of my favourite people, Sir Attenborough

It's good to see some plants exacting revenge on their herbivorous animalian brethren

Nice find mon!

new topics

top topics

join