It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(1953) 3- Men in Black order UFO research to stop.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Ordered to Quit

by the Men in Black

One day in 1953, Albert Bender, a thirty-two year old saucer and occult enthusiast who ran the International Flying Saucer Bureau out of his home in Bridgeport, Connecticut, received a surprise visit from "three men wearing dark suits" who "flashed credentials" from a "higher authority" and told him "not roughly, but sternly and emphatically, to stop publishing flying saucer information." Bender told a reporter from the Bridgeport Herald in November that the visitors took five copies of each issue of his newsletter.

He said that he was so frightened by the encounter that he could not eat for a "couple of days."

This incident would enter UFO lore as one of the original appearances of the "Men In Black."

www.ufx.org...

The story would seem to be just another case of a rather self-dramatizing marginal individual making sensationalistic claims, and gives the impression that the "visitors from a higher authority" - if they actually existed - were members of some secret government agency. But it is typical of the weirdly convoluted world of UFOs in the 1950s that the CIA did get involved in this "MIB" case, if only in a peripheral way.

According to documents preserved in the CIA's online Electronic Documents Release Center, in the summer of 1959 a Mr. George Patrick Wyllie of Cleveland, Tennessee sent CIA Director Allen Dulles a copy of Gray Barker's book "They Knew Too Much About Flying Saucers," which greatly embroidered on the 1953 intimidation of Bender.

Dulles did not ignore the letter or return the book with a polite acknowledgment. Oddly, he forwarded it to the Agency's Office of Scientific Intelligence, and on July 2nd, OSI director Herbert Scoville replied to Wyllie, returning the book. Did Dulles refer it to OSI because he detected some indication that the book might refer to CIA activity in relation to the Bender case? The reply was drafted by C. W. Matthews of the OSI Fundamental Sciences Division.

www.ufx.org...

[Edited on 31-8-2003 by quaneeri]

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Flying Saucers Found In Maryland!

The Glen Burnie Incident: the Air Force's Second Officially Announced Flying Saucer Capture

www.ufx.org...

It was one of the oddest incidents of the early Flying Saucer era, with all the elements of a pulp magazine potboiler: a revolutionary flying machine created in a secret workshop by a shadowy inventor, a nationwide manhunt by military intelligence agents, rumors of stock swindles and a flurry of sensational headlines.

One afternoon in August 1949, a group of Air Force special agents and officers of the Maryland State Police broke into a shed on a farm near Glen Burnie, a suburb of Baltimore, and discovered two bizarre disk-shaped experimental airplanes. By the next morning, newspapers all across the country carried the shocking announcement by an Air Force official that the devices were probably the "original prototypes of the flying saucer," and that the Air Force was staging a massive manhunt for their missing inventor. The two year old flying saucer mystery seemed to be on the verge of a solution. But a few hours later, Air Force Headquarters in Washington issued an adamant denial that the Glen Burnie disk-planes had any connection to the flying saucer phenomenon -- or that flying saucers even existed at all. Within a few days the excitement blew over and the strange objects, along with their shadowy creator, lapsed back into obscurity.

What was behind this bizarre three-day episode? Was the Glen Burnie Incident a media hoax, some sort of bungled intelligence operation -- or more ominously, another example of a massive Air Force coverup of the truth about flying saucers?

www.ufx.org...

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 12:16 PM
link   
www.ufx.org...
A frame from the color Tremonton UFO film - the so-called "U Film," shot by a vacationing Navy photographer on July 2, 1952. It showed virtually featureless points of light milling around in groups against a nearly featureless blue sky background. It was considered a genuine anomaly by Photo Intelligence Laboratory head Arthur Lundahl (who knew Delbert Newhouse, the photographer), but this was disputed by the Air Force's own Photo Reconnaissance Laboratory at Wright-Patterson AFB. Some analysts consider the objects to be Great Salt Lake seagulls

www.ufx.org...
The Great Falls, Montana UFO film ("M Film"), taken on August 15, 1950, showed two small luminous dots speeding horizontally behind nearby buildings. Critics considered them to be sunlight glinting from F-94 fighters from a nearby Air Force base and calculations showed speeds consistent with aircraft, but proponents argued that the constancy of illumination over a wide range of angles ruled out this possibility. Lundahl also considered these objects unexplained

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 12:20 PM
link   
www.ufx.org...
The first pilot known to have used the term "Foo Fighter" to describe a UFO-like nocturnal light was Lt. Donald J. Meiers of the US Army Air Force's 415th Night Fighter Squadron, who was a native of Chicago. As it's likely that he had seen the comic strip in his hometown newspaper, the probable origin of the phrase isn't so mysterious. Their many fruitless attempts to track nocturnal targets may have left the young pilots of the 415th feeling like Smokey Stover's "False Alarm Fire Company."

The photo shows Meiers with his British-built Bristol Beaufighter night fighter

posted on Feb, 12 2003 @ 12:22 PM
link   
The shape of the rotodome (which had a strong resemblance to Price's supersonic saucer design), probably combined with company lore about the UFO incident on the WV-2 (and maybe Van Tassel and Angelucci too), proved too much for Lockheed's engineers, and just before the dome was installed on the aircraft, they decided to have a bit of fun by using it as a prop in a saucer spoof photo.

www.ufx.org...

www.ufx.org...

posted on Feb, 13 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Love the Lockheed pic...

posted on Feb, 14 2003 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Gazrok.

Yeh.

Those lockhead guys look like there having a ball.

posted on Feb, 25 2003 @ 08:44 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 25 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 5 2003 @ 05:25 AM
link   
In some cases i have heard that these men are sent to people who believe in UFO's to tell them to cease all activity regarding UFO's people never stop and this is what these Men in Black want. They want us to believe and i do belive. Just not ever thing in the sky which cannot be accounted for is a Alien Spacecraft, some yes but i bet a significant number of them are classified military projects under the smoke screen on Alien Spacecraft.

posted on Aug, 30 2003 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Yeh.

I beleive there has been a deliberate gov disinformation program running since the 50's.

They had to come up with a distraction from the airforce black plane projects testing.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I tend to discount most of the MIB stories, although one thing did give me pause... A genuine picture of an MIB (or at least someone who certainly fits the stereotype of MIB) in a historically correct setting.

In the book Man Made UFOs, 1944-1994, 50 Years of Suppression by Renato Vesco and David Hatcher Childress (which is an excellent book, highly reccommend it
) there is a photo (out of several) of Thomas Townsend Brown in his lab experimenting with his MHD drive disks (including several photos of them flying in vaccuum chambers, which totally destroys modern claims of "ion wind") there is a picture of an unidentified government agent dressed in typical MIB garb.

This photo is dated 1952, which is contemporary with T. Townsend Browns historically documented involvement with the USAF during Project Winterhaven, where the USAF contracted Brown to assist in developing a Mach 3+ capable MHD drive vehicle for airborne combat/intercept.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   
dragonrider.

Is this the MIB pic.

Dr. Tom Turner, Townsend Brown and unknown man at the Bahnson Lab, April 5, 1958

www.soteria.com...

www.soteria.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 05:24 PM
link   
It is widely known that through the late fifties and on into the sixties, the "overwhelming number" of UFO reports was literally shutting down communications for the intelligence/military agencies...

So many reports were coming in it had personell tied up for more than 90% of their watches.

Additionally, the fear at the top was that the public was so busy looking for UFOs that if a hostile enemy was to launch an attack the public would report it as another UFO OR worse yet, the intel folks would blow it off as another crack pot who is now seeing bombers flying over his house instead of flying saucers...

There are credible reports that "agents" were sent out to the five or six major "Saucer Enthusiast" organizations to "encourage" them to shut up and stop printing their flyers and news letters.

The U.S. Government desperately wanted the UFO problem to go away during the height of the cold war.

It was a distraction. This is what ultimately led most of the conspiracy buffs to beleive the government was "hiding" something.

The airforce consistantly said the UFOs were nothing but would not unclassify the reports they had. This was bad policy and led to the ultimate report - the Condon report- which was another attempt to take the public's mind off the UFO issue and put it back onto paranoia of USSR where it belonged...

PEACE...
m...

[Edited on 8-31-2003 by Springer]

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   
That is the lab in question, but it is NOT the pic I have in the book. The MIB is absolutely accurate to the MIB stereotype, complete with hat.

I wish my scanner worked, could scan it in.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by quaneeri
www.chez.com...

I don't have permission to access the photo on this server.

posted on Aug, 31 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
groingrinder.

I just tried it.

Works fine for me.

I will put it up on my server and repost it. !

users.bigpond.com...

join