It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu Blown Out Of Proportion

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This thing is really out of control. Not the swine flu itself, but the incredible number of news outlets carrying on like this thing is going to wipe out the entire human race.

Im saying swine flu is a good thing (i mean it is highly contagious), but its really not that bad, no more worse than the normal flu. Also like the normal flu, swine flu is only potentially fatal to those in high risk areas such as:

- the very young
- the elderly
- pregnant women
- those already with respiratory or other chronic problems

According to scientists and virologists, out of every 1000 swine flu cases, 40 people need hospital admission (which is 4%) and one out of those forty, will possibly die (less than 1%). So for every death from swine flu there are, 999 cases of people recovering. Chances of death are almost non-existant

In total, last years deaths from influenza in the USA were about 36,000 (with 200,000 hopsitalised). Again, these were mostly those in the high risk category and those which already had long term respiratory problems. According to the CDC, inlfuenza/pneumonia is the seventh leading cause of death in the USA each year. In reality, most people recover with no lasting effects.

So please....I implore you.......stop panicking, take appropriate measures (take tamiflu if you're really worried, or dont if you're afraid of it), like you would with the normal flu, and dont be force fed by the media. Do a little research yourself (use WHO info if possible)or ask a medical proffesional.

Just one thing to add, i remember watching a news broadcast on swine flu here in Australia. It had about 10 minutes of doomsaying by the media, carrying on about quarantine, and how bad the swine flu was, and about 30 seconds of a guy with a PhD in Virology, explaining that it wasnt as bad as it was made out to be. Just goes to show that we are a large flock of sheep (me included sometimes), believing almost anything

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well let's see when you do worry, okay...

You're in Oz, so let us up in the North know how you get on in the winter

Edit: Before you vilify me, it's an exponential curve and not worthy of explanation.

Flu tracker site. Keep your eye on the cumulative graph

N.B. Pandemics last on average 18 months; we're 2 months in!

[edit on 23-6-2009 by PrisonerOfSociety]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrisonerOfSociety
Well let's see when you do worry okay...

You're in Oz, so let us up in the North know how you get on in the winter

I will worry when people start dropping dead left, right and centre....your link shows a graph which I am assuming, is infection rate, rather than mortality rate

And yes Im in Oz, and thousands of people already have the virus....still not worried though

[edit on 23/6/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Its not now we have to worry about....... Lets come back and look @ this in about 2-3mnths time when they release the actual FLu they are intending to use......

we havn't even scratched the service yet on this.....

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
the incredible number of news outlets carrying on like this thing is going to wipe out the entire human race.

Can you please post some of those articles - perhaps I am not looking very hard, but I have not seen reports from news outlets telling us that the entire human race is going to be wiped out. If there is articles from news outlets saying that, it would be interesting to see where they are getting that information from.

During my own researches into this situation, it seems to be that MSM is under-playing this whole thing - according to them there is absolutely nothing to panic about.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by antmar
but I have not seen reports from news outlets telling us that the entire human race is going to be wiped out. If there is articles from news outlets saying that, it would be interesting to see where they are getting that information from.

Sorry bout that, it was never actually said. I meant that they "carrying on" like it was some major virus that was going to kill everyone.

Its interesting that MSM is reporting that. Most medias that I have seen have been blowing it up big time. I guess the worse it sounds, the more people will actually tune into view it

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

Transmission of the bug is likely to accelerate as the flu season begins in the Southern Hemisphere and again when it returns in the Northern Hemisphere, the bank said in a report released yesterday. As many as 1.5 million people die in a normal flu season worldwide, and even a mild new flu might add another 1.4 million deaths, the report said.

that would mean 2.9 million people dieing next year from flu instead of the normal 1.5 if this stays a mild flu.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Why cant we all just get along? Just live and let live kiddo. Let us prepare for the worst, while hoping for the best, and you are free to go through your life, however short it is, as happy-go-lucky as you please.

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Lol, no worries. I thought I was going to get some interesting reads though!

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Disclosure Agent

Well said! look for things to get worse in the fall, when kids go back to

school, its going to get ulgy fast!!! it will be a different strain than now, and

very deadly, by the way don't take the vaccines, poison in them, but

don't take my word for it do your own research!!!! best of luck to all!!!

[edit on 23-6-2009 by truth/seeker]

posted on Jun, 23 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I don't think we can really say how bad this will be until this fall. It seems to be on a similar course as the Spanish Flu. Here is a timeline of how the Spanish Flu transpired.

www.twoop.com...

If we make it into the winter OK, I will agree that this was blown out of proportion. As of right now though, I think there is still a reasonable chance that this could get nasty.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I agree it could get nasty in the fall. No one knows what we'll be looking at then, but it is being blown up now. Except in the states where the media is covering up the fact that thousands are dying because they eat too many Big Macs.

Star and flag, spread the love

join