It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

H1N1 flu may have originated in NZ

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Source - tvnz.co.nz

Well not the sort of thing you like to read when you get up in the morning and browse Teletext headlines. Did a search and cant really find this on ATS at the moment, if its already been mentioned then sorry about that.

Looks like a group of researchers are saying its either my country New Zealand or from China. Kind of interesting when you think about it, especially since we've had a big, recent on going public debate about intensively reared Pork in this country (Horrid practice in my own opinion to treat any animal let alone pigs like they do), perfect conditions when you think about it for something like H1N1 to come about.

Personally i hope its China (although that aint good either but given their often lack of precautions in such things its more reasonable to say its origins are from China, although heres hoping the researchers are wrong on both counts), since the fact we had a number of H1N1 cases here, that in itself took a rather noticeable effect for a while on our tourism sector here. This little news Article will have an even larger 'ignorant fear' effect on the industry.

Havent got anything to say about it really, but an interesting direction in this whole H1N1 thing
more reason not to eat NZ pork (not that i eat it anyway).

[edit on 1-6-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
With what evidence ?

You haven't provided a shred of evidence.

It started in Mexico. It was a bunch of students on holiday in Mexico who came to NZ with the virus.

You can't just make a claim and provide no proof.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sy.gunson
With what evidence ?

You haven't provided a shred of evidence.

It started in Mexico. It was a bunch of students on holiday in Mexico who came to NZ with the virus.

You can't just make a claim and provide no proof.

Might want to click on the source link I proved their buddy rather than attack me as stating I have no proof. Im simply passing on a news article I found interesting, I have no proof. Simply a messenger.

If you want to say there is no proof why not take it up with Dr Gus Kousoulas, director of Louisiana State University's division of biotechnology and molecular medicine (BIOMMED). After all its his team thats claiming it.

Ive stuck 'Source' in front of my link so people dont miss it next time.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Ok, they admit they got it wrong, phew:

Source - Stuff.co.nz

An American scientist says he was misquoted in reports claiming the swine flu virus originated in "either New Zealand or China".

"The statement was based on early phylogenetic analysis of available sequences. It was misquoted," Professor Gus Kousoulas of the School of Veterinary Sciences at Lousiana University told the New Zealand Science Media Centre.

"There is no basis currently to support a New Zealand origin. While we still do not know the true origin, a US or Mexico origin is more likely," he added.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by antmar
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Ok, they admit they got it wrong, phew:

Source - Stuff.co.nz

An American scientist says he was misquoted in reports claiming the swine flu virus originated in "either New Zealand or China".

"The statement was based on early phylogenetic analysis of available sequences. It was misquoted," Professor Gus Kousoulas of the School of Veterinary Sciences at Lousiana University told the New Zealand Science Media Centre.

"There is no basis currently to support a New Zealand origin. While we still do not know the true origin, a US or Mexico origin is more likely," he added.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ah thats ok then and understandable given some media outlets. phew indeed

posted on Jun, 2 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   
I read today, as well, that there is an emerging belief about NZ as a possible source of this strain. Have not read yet about China, although the track record there regarding human/animal interaction and coincident secrecy is certainly known to all who read----anything.

I have been of the opinion for some time that there was an Asian influenza that became endemic in the West- the EU and the US, where it incubated, and we gave it t Mexico- a perfect population for further incubation (esp. when one considers a giant metro area surrounded by small states with little medical support), and a population comprised of many who carry parasitic co-infections. This is wholly my own speculation.

It is sickening to me to "lay blame", however the case unfolds. We have a greater responsibility- to tell the truth about those who are ill or dying or at risk, and to divine the source via scientific, rather than nationalistic, methodology.

As a side note- when I was working on my PhD and we reached the "experimentation on pigs" level of coursework, I walked out of the laboratory and withdrew that day. So, whether through corporate farming or biomedical research, WE- the human race as a whole are, I believe, to blame for what we have sown by our ignorance of the power of the genome, the proteome, epigenetics, etc. We're playing with fire.

I hope this pandemic event changes some minds- though having seen what I have in the field, I doubt it. The best we can do is deny ignorance and protect each other as well as we can.

join