It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cryptid Cetaceans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
In my usual searching of wikipedia for cryptid information, I came across a couple of unknown whales that may interest the community here at ATS.
Up first is Gigloli's whale, a species of rorqual spotted by the zoologist Enrico Hillyer Giglioli. It supposedly had 2 dorsal fins, long flippers and no throat furrows. It was spotted in 1867 off the coast of Chile, then again in 1868 off Scotland. Finally, Jacques Maigret spotted a similar creature between the French mainland and the island of Corsica in 1983.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/86699943b1a2.jpg[/atsimg]
This is Giglioli's depiction of it.

The next specimen of interest is the Rhinoceros Dolphin, a two-finned dolphin spotted near the Sandwich Islands and New South Wales. It may be a genetic mutation, or possibly a new species.

More info on cryptowhales

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
There is SO MUCH to be discovered within our planets oceans. Posts like this are fascinating!

Star and Flag!

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Neat!

I'd make the post longer, but neat says it all.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Ignoring the rest of the description for a moment, the two dorsal fins, their size, and positioning makes me think more along the lines of a adult female being followed by her calf. The fins look like that of a blue whale, as well.
myanimalblog.files.wordpress.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
AAGHGHG I can't believe I didn't post this thread. Actually, I didn't just because I think the possibility of a cryptid cetacean is highly likely. It's a common trait in fish to have two dorsal fins.

Did I mention I'm spending the next four years studying whales?

Did I mention I go by the name Cetacea occasionally?

Slightly embarrassing, sharing my marine mammal love.

join