It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets see if we can pull this together

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
It has come to my attention lately that the facts, numbers, and general information surrounding the swine flu/ H1N1 virus have been twisted, changed, and wrongfully interpreted, mostly by the MSM and various outlets that are giving the public the news. As members of ATS, you all very well know that it is not uncommon for truth to be bent and changed in order to stop the spread of panic or for other unseen reasons. On the other hand, we also want to get down to the bottom of this, and figure out the throbbing question "Is this a serious pandemic, or just a scare that will blow over?".

During the past few weeks, I have absorbed information from both sides, attempting to decipher what the truth of all this is. However, I have not been able to come to any sort of conclusion, as once I go to one side, another piece of information pulls me to the other. For this reason, I am attempting to start a "middle ground" thread where we can discuss the various news articles and sources to come to a conclusion of what they mean (Which I would very much like to keep in the original post so I can provide member explanations of what they mean to help this), find out the real numbers of this thing, create and discuss theses and their likelihoods, and all in all, get to the bottom of this.

I would very much enjoy to see conflicting articles where one source says one thing, and another says a different. That way, we see both sides of the equation. Hopefully by pulling together all this info and providing what we think of each article and what it means, we will get to the bottom of what is happening here. As a side note, I would like to ask that in order to fit as much information on here as possible, the responses to articles and sources are short but meaningful. More of an outline that a full blown response. We have a large number of smart minds here, and I honestly think that by studying this closely, we can figure this out.

News articles
news.bbc.co.uk...
- China keeping 400 people quarantined, mostly in hotel. Do they know something we don't?
- Death toll in Mexico at 19, previously over 100.

abcnews.go.com...
- US officials say H1N1 is slowing, despite the rise in case numbers
- WHO under reporting, even by a small margin
- Less virulent strain, according to CDC director

Official updates (CDC, WHO, etc)

Primary sources

Secondary sources

theses

Other (pieces of information that do not fit the previous criteria)

I will update this as often as I can, too. (I realize there is a news update thread, but that is for discussing the news updates. The goal of this is to not only discuss them, but see if we can find information that can lead us to finding the answer to this by having one place where all articles are stored and read over, instead of 250+ pages.)

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Reserved for additional news

posted on May, 3 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
And just in case, additional reserve as large quotas are taken up by hyper links

join