It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds largest crocodile?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Anyone else think things like this could be the explanation to many lake monster myths, maybe they are all just BIG normal animals?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Im not going to shout fake straight away, but the main problem I have with that is the block of wood in its jaws. There is no chance of that block holding the jaws of the croc open, actually staying like that while it was alive.

The biggest croc caught is a crocodile named "Criss" , who was shot by a German lady near Normanton in Queensland. The size of that was 8.6 metres (28 ft). Ive actually seen the relica statue of Criss, and it was huge. On average saltwater crocs grow to abot 5 meteres in length.

An just as a comparison, alligators grow now where near as large and are no where near as aggresive

I live in a crocodile prone area of Australia by the way

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The power from a crocs jaws, comes from the top.
They have the top held open with some serious ropes.
And that piece of wood is pretty darn thick.
Like a treated pine fence post.
I would say that's real, but cruel.
Why don't they let it go?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I think your point is probably right in most cases. Whereas Ozweatherman could identify croc behavior because he's familiar with it; I couldn't because I'm not. It's therefore unsurprising that stars become UFOs and a shoal of fish underwater can become a fast moving monster when we try and explain what we have no references for.

As for the croc in the video, it doesn't look all that big to me. I picture 'Saint' Steve Irwin riding some of the big salties and they looked a damn sight bigger than the video beast

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
The power from a crocs jaws, comes from the top.
They have the top held open with some serious ropes.
And that piece of wood is pretty darn thick.
Like a treated pine fence post.
I would say that's real, but cruel.
Why don't they let it go?

Yeah that is true,......but remember that you can physically hold a crocodiles jaws shut, but when they bite down on you or some other thing, you cant physically pry open their jaws. Ask a croc expert....I have.

Just to add, you will probably see that when crocodiles are caught by people, the catcher will jump on the crocs back and put his/ her hands around the jaws to hold them closed, then tape it shut.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I agree, if this is real then you would assume that they would have kept the jaws closed. It makes for less trouble for everyone.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Pretty sure it's dead. They just made it 'pose' by tying it a certain way. It's big, but not that big. The way it's filmed is deceiving -- people looking at it are few meters back, guy making the video is right next to it.

I think it's in Indonesia as well... very unlikely you'll come across the "worlds largest crocodile" anywhere other than northern Australia.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I have to agree that isn't likely to be the largest crocodile.

1. There are no reports of the "largest crocodile captured" in the last couple of months.
2. Just because a YouTube video makes a claim, doesn't make it so. There are no extra information such as when/where/how/why. We need at least a size to decide whether actually qualifies for the title, before we can even investigate whether it's true.

All that said - the video appears to be from India. The crocs in those parts are big enough to give the title a shot. Yes, almost all record size crocs are "salties" from Australia, BUT the largest (living) crocodile is a captive croc in Orissa, India. More.

As for your question whether "Lake Monsters" can be explained away by crocodiles - I don't see why not. Actually the possibility that Nessie is a giant croc is more probable than it being a Plesiosaurus. The Lake Monster could easily be explained away if there were crocs known to be in the Lakes in questions, BUT there isn't...

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
This video is deceiving and there has been no report of a record sized croc. I have seen "Utan" in person at Alligator Adventure in Myrtle Beach, SC. He is very impressive and I recall thinking if he was compressed into a rectangle he would be roughly the size of a car. Look him up but I assure you he will not be as impressive on the Internet as he is in person. It's a great stop on Roadside America, I highly recommend it if you're near Myrtle Beach.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Almost looks fake, wish there was a wide shot of it and I hope they keep it in a zoo and make money from it doing so because man has done enough killing off nature already.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Does anyone else notice the sudden change in color depth at the start of the tail? It's almost like the body is real, but the tail was reconstructed to be much bigger. Watch at the begining as the camera goes from tail end, to the back part of the body. Noticeable color change.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I have always been in awe of such marvelous beasts. Does anyone think gators could live in the NYC sewers?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
okay, as posted by someone in the comments section. the croc is on a trailer, everyone can see that, but the people that initially look like theyre right up on it, are steps back, so at first glance its huge, but thats your mind playing a bit of a trick on you. still big though

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I was thinking 'camera' tricks as well.

It appears to have close up of the croc, with people directly behind it.

As it pans along, you can see that its not actually as it appears.

As for the debate on the jaws being open rather than shut, It 'looked' ( I didn't have time to go back and look) as though there was a syringe sticking out of the side... could be mistaken though.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It is a large croc, but I Think it looks even bigger because the footage is up close abnd the people are further back, it is also raised so it isn't sitting on the ground either so that will also give the illusion of being bigger than it really is.

Just like any animal in nature, ou always et a bigger than expected one every once and a while.
Happens with people ,dogs, cats, horses, crocodiles he list goes on, that is why fishermen always break records.

posted on Apr, 2 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
It is a large croc, but I Think it looks even bigger because the footage is up close abnd the people are further back, it is also raised so it isn't sitting on the ground either so that will also give the illusion of being bigger than it really is.

AGREED! At first I thought the video had to be fake because the beast looked impossibly large; but after watching it a couple more times I couldn't really see anything odd from a technical angle. But like you said, the constant zoom and the people off in the distance make this thing look absolutely massive. I just wish the cameraman would have zoomed out a couple times for some reference points...

top topics

join