It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcanoes and Earthquakes Worldwide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'm sure a lot of people have done this recently, but I would like to start a thread dedicated to EVERYTHING volcano and earthquake related happening on the globe right now. There are several threads discussing yellowstone, redoubt, recent earthquakes in Australia, near the North Pole, and volcanoes erupting in many places across the world, and I want to bring everyone together to one main hub to discuss theories, current events, situation updates etc... I feel we have some great researchers and amateurs/professionals that have a lot of information to donate and discuss within each board related to earthquakes and volcanoes. Sometimes, each thread tends to go off topic on another current event that could be related to the topic at hand, leading to confusion, backtracking, and meandering to other threads to do research. I'm not saying stop posting on those threads in the least. As I go through countless threads daily in search of information, and graphs/charts that have been created by certain members that I can only find there. So hey, if you want to try it out, I think it would be a cool experiment. I will provide a few basic links to get started, and my current opinion on the situation.
Redoubt on ATS
Yellowstone on ATS

Since December, 2008, I have become an addict. I am addicted to monitoring earthquakes, and volcanoes, in my very own amateur way, on a daily basis. Yellowstone first caught my eye with the swarm beginning late December 2008. I then began noticing more and more volcano yellow alerts being put up all across the globe on the EDIS
My other drug(s) of choice being:
USGS

I can only say one thing that is a very strong opinion of mine. To me, it seems as though something big is coming. Perhaps a shifting of the earth, it's poles, enlargement from the core. Magma wants out. It's obvious all over EDIS, with over 20 volcanoes currently erupting. Some of these have not erupted in a long time. Earthquakes have been occuring more frequently on the west coast of California then I've ever seen. Strange lines of quakes from the mid-west to the coast, and some quakes occuring where no quakes have hit in years. Swarms are on the rise in several places on the globe. I really don't know what is going on, but i'd like to get everyone's opinion on this. My question is...are these just just a bunch of small, localized, micro events? Or is it all connected somehow, to a large macro event, slated to occur in a short period of time to 10 years from now or more? Are the poles shifting, and the magnetic energy ripping the crust apart in it's shift progression? This is why I wanted to bring everyone together with all of their abundance of input and knowledge. I hope hear from you soon...

[edit on 6-3-2009 by SpadeofAces]

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19 Mar 09 by Gools]

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Current USGS map as of 3:30 p.m. today

Interesting about the 2 earthquakes in Australia...they are both registered as 4.7's, so could these possibly be foreshocks to a larger event? It is also strange that these occured here, as there are no active faults.

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I am starting to wonder when its going to be canadas time for the huge one .. they have been predicticting "the big one " for sometime in B.C. but i have a feeling it will be sooner then later

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I was looking at this today and found the large earthquake in Greenland fairly interesting. Though it was along a fault, it did issue a tsunami warning for the local area.

Granted, there was nothing of consequence that came from this quake, but, considering there was some interest last week in Russia about increasing military forces in the North Pole area, I find this interesting.

Definitely an interesting thread to keep tabs on a lot of things happening around the globe at once... and perhaps, if there is a link, to find it?

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Iago18

There is such a link friend, it's the Emergency and Disaster Information Service. it has an interactive map with easy to follow icons, and in depth information about each event listed. The EDIS

posted on Mar, 6 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I more meant if there was a link between certain current events and certain geological events. Sorry that "link" could have meant two things in this context. Hahaha.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Me too. I have been an earthquake junkie for basically all of my life.
What I have found to be super interesting is that for the last several months there have been constant low-magnitude earthquakes in the Puerto Rico/Dominican Republic Region almost every day. I don't know if that part of the world is known for larger events historically. I have been waiting for something bigger to come out of there but nothing seems to happen, just a constant release of energy.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Lots of interesting earthquakes in the U.S. today. One, nearly smack-dab in the middle of Oklahoma. This one, amongst others are weird in a sense that they occur within superimposed borders...in the direct center, and sometimes on the imposed lines of the states. What I mean is, sometimes it makes me think these are man-made, buried devices/charges that have a location that is set from looking at a map of states, rather it being natural, and occuring not exactly on a super-imposed line drawn to represent a state, and it's boundaries. A lot of these occur in Oklahoma, and areas west of. I see weird patterns going across the U.S., seemingly following a trail, or path of explosions. Or it could be completely natural and just be a huge fault running from the Pacific Ocean to the Mid-West. It's hard to explain, and I will not attempt to do so anymore for the sake of your confusion.
Other odd quakes are the 2 that occured in New Brunswick, Can. I never see quakes over there, and 2 at the same times nearly, is interesting to me.
California does seem to be lighting up again as well. Seems like all the little swarms that have been active for days, are now getting a larger quake in it's vicinity, thus slowing down the swarms, as apparent on the animation from usgs.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Kudos to you. Your thread is going to save me a lot of surfing time. I too have becomed hooked on the usgs and utah earthquake information pages. I check 'em first thing in the morning and last at night. It will be nice to have all this information centralized. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I use the addon in firefox to check earthquakes..is that reliable? my shake screens
fun times.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by SpadeofAces

There are a few of us on this site who have spent the better part of the past few years studying/logging and watching the EQ activity worldwide.

Welcome to the watch.

I have seen some crazy things over the years (swarms,unusual region activity, etc.).. but the activity in the past 8 months has far surpassed anything logged by me and others before.

The ride may get bumpy soon.

-edit- On a side note... do remember that we have this thread currently active...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9-3-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Man we (Southern California), are wayyyy overdue for a big one. It's been nearly 15 years. Large quakes are hitting in ALL the quake prone areas around the world! But So. Cal...just some minor tremors in several swarms up and down the state.

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
As said really to keep with tradition going back many years on ATS and stop numerous threads making research and finding the correct place for visitors and members alike we should use for most of the seismic events:

Quake Watch 2009

Traditionally we have had a Volcano watch yearly to OP

No one seems to have started one this year so if you look here:

Search Results at ATS Volcano Watch

You can see the jist and maybe start one albeit late for 2009.

To mix the two together just creates more threads with replicating of data and comments, a bigger server size and cost for ATS and non linear discussion of the events.

I am sure it would be a good idea for V.Watch 2009 to be opened with the links as you say to redoubt etc, and also the Yellowstone ones.

Lets keep ATS the best and clean of replicating and wasted time of members, to keep the quality and reference, discussion and team work good.

Kind regards,

Elf

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Are you even a moderator?

posted on Mar, 19 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Mischievous was trying to be nice and helpful.

They could have just said.

PLEASE DO A SEARCH DUH WE HAVE THREADS LIKE THESE ONGOING!

So maybe just take the advice and make that volcano 2009 thread. You will get lots of stars and flags i'm sure.

top topics

join