It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I deep thought to ponder.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
For you to be here your ancestors had to crawl out of the primordial soup, survive evolution, predators, disasters and anything else thrown at them...

Makes you think doesnt it?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

So, in other words, we're rather like cockroaches?

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

Evolution and a lot of lucky circumstances?
It does sound pretty far fetched doesn't it?

Massive Volcano/earthquake/continent shaping events
Ice ages...heat waves...drought...Meteor strikes...comet strikes...gamma ray bursts...disease...humans violent nature...

What are the odds?

[edit on 3/1/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Or evolution is a hoax perpetrated by pointy headed academics to throw us off the track of being seeded here by the stickmen from Uranus.

Makes you think doesn't it????

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Stickmen from Uranus.

T:lol
o funny.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
hiiideee hooo, so mr hankee is behind all this? its all so clear to me now. for you are the gatekeeper and i am the keeper of the cheese....

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
It's a pretty deep thought. The incomprehensible number of genetic mutations that have culminated in the rich variety of life on this planet is awesome in the true sense of the word. The variables are ridiculous. If any single ancestor of yours, since life began, had turned left instead of right (for example) and not met the their mate, you wouldn't be here to post the idea. Each interaction generates infinite possible outcomes that dictate the course of history and evolution.

If we look much further back in time, the simple point of life even existing on this planet is also improbable. The myriad events that allow us to be here as sentient lives aware of the Solar System, galaxy, universe etc are barely fathomable.

Illustration of a planetary disk.

Recent surveys for planetary disks near O-type stars indicate that planetary disks located within 1.6 light-years are likely to be "boiled off" by superhot radiation and winds
Habitable Zones and Stars

For the raw material that formed the Solar System to survive the process and not be "boiled off" is unlikely. To then survive the chaos of matter swirling around the infant star as it accreted into planetary masses is against the odds. Asteroids, comets and planetesimals collided and impacted with anything in the way as the craters we see testify.

Illustration source-Heavy bombardment

The role played by all the planets and moons and the gravity of the Sun have contributed in securing our existence. Without them we would be like so many other systems that didn't reproduce the 'goldilocks zone' that allows us to have this discussion.

The study shows that if there is no giant planet present, the JFCs will not be diverted onto Earth-crossing orbits, so the impact rate at the Earth is low. A Saturn-mass planet would have the gravitational pull to inject objects onto Earth-crossing orbits, but would not be massive enough to easily eject objects from the Solar System. This means that there would be more objects on Earth-crossing orbits at any given time, and therefore more impacts. However, a planet with Jupiter's vast mass can give objects the gravitational boost to eject them from the Solar System. Therefore, if Jupiter deflects JFCs to an Earth-crossing orbit, it may well later sweep them right out of the Solar System and off the collision course with the Earth.
Source

The incalculable odds against our being here to appreciate and study the beauty of space is profound. That life continues in the face of adversity should give us pause for thought. Furthermore the accomplishments of Humanity add to this sense of majesty.

We've invented wheels, controlled fire and built cities. We fight and seek to destroy each other. At the same time we create art, poetry, music. We spend hours trying to work out the meaning of life whilst being instrumental in it's destruction

If it all comes to end at our hands...

Life will go on without us. I just hope that the music, poetry and art will remain to be found by someone else and that the legacy of beauty we have brought to this planet overshadows the ugliness. Sometimes on ATS the focus is on the darkness in life but really there's much more beauty and brightness than dark

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

WOW...after that multimedia dissertation I'm speechless...
Not much I could add to that...or most anyone for that matter...

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

WOW...after that multimedia dissertation I'm speechless...
Not much I could add to that...or most anyone for that matter...

I think you made the exact same point in your earlier post but a little more succinctly
I probably got a little carried away with the good OP. Thanks for the reply

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
And to think some people don't believe in God?

There is no way we are here by chance.

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Yeah...I took the cheezy, lazy route.

I used to get all worked up and do the Multimedia Mega-Presentations back in College, alas, those days are mostly over...

Here's another angle to ponder...what if reality really isn't real...what if our Consciousness is singular and all that appears to be, is but a illusion, created in a quazi-dimensional aberration that has no end, no beggining and no meaning???
(Rambling
)

posted on Mar, 1 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I have often pondered this question. When I was a kid I would find Allasourus teeth ....dinosaur and bronotherium bones...mammal near the same areas in South West Saskatchewan. Made me wonder about why I would find them in or near the same type of land. So I began to read.

I read and read.....about why we and our animal friends...how....when...etc came about....

After discovering the age of the earth and so the impossable odds that we are here I was awestruck...still am.

I cannot think about this fact for two long as it scares me. lol

Just yesterday I was sort of awestruck that I was once a single cell creature travelling up the "tubes" to an egg....

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Wonderful post my friend! Taking my thought and explaining it with more depth and perception!
Star for you.

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

Yeah...I took the cheezy, lazy route.

I used to get all worked up and do the Multimedia Mega-Presentations back in College, alas, those days are mostly over...

Here's another angle to ponder...what if reality really isn't real...what if our Consciousness is singular and all that appears to be, is but a illusion, created in a quazi-dimensional aberration that has no end, no beggining and no meaning???
(Rambling
)

I posted this to make people think deeper on their existence. I believe I have succeeded.
:]

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tentickles

Wonderful post my friend! Taking my thought and explaining it with more depth and perception!
Star for you.
Thanks but I'll confess there was beer involved and a .ppt for a friend. I looked at it today and felt like a bit of an a**hole. I'm pleased with it and your thought-provoking OP caught my imagination. It expresses how I see life but it was still a big, loud 'showy' post
In the midst of a decent thread it's like 'the Ego has landed!' Sorry and thanks for the thread

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

And now here we are thinking about controlling space and time and looking deep inside the tiniest elements of matter itself.
There had to be a plan for us at the first place, this all can not have happened all by chance..

[edit on 12-3-2009 by spacebot]

[edited]
And now here we are thinking about controlling space and time and looking deep inside the tiniest elements of matter itself. [edit] and drink beer.[edit]

Cheers!

[edit on 12-3-2009 by spacebot]

top topics

join