It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netbooks???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Anyone have one of these?? I saw them this weekend and ordered one. I was going for a laptop, but the netbooks are half the price of most laptops (and money isn't growing off trees these days).

I just want to know if anyone has any first hand experience with the netbooks and if so, do you like it, does it work, any problems??

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I think they're quite nice, as long as you don't need an optical drive.

I saw where TigerDirect had one for as low as $299 (an Acer) with 1Gb of RAM and a 120Gb hard drive, webcam too. Pretty nice little units!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I got an Acer. A bit more expensive than that but not by much.

I just wanted to make sure that I didn't make a mistake, because when I have mentioned "Netbooks" to people, all I get is a blank stare.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by skeptic1

I just wanted to make sure that I didn't make a mistake, because when I have mentioned "Netbooks" to people, all I get is a blank stare.

I think the "deer in the headlights" look is mostly due to a new technology term. - NetBook.

They're small, light-weight, extremely portable and, aside from not having a CD/DVD drive, they're every bit the computer as any other.

How do you like your's so far?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

I like it a lot. It weighs almost nothing. It is fast. It does everything I want it to do. Plenty of ports to hook up external drives and slots to expand on the memory if I need to.

It is small, but not so small that it is too difficult to get use to. The keyboard is only a tiny bit smaller than a regular laptop's keyboard (5% smaller).

Does everything my old laptop does and is a lot more convenient than either the laptop or my desktop.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Sounds like you're good to go then.
Enjoy!

p.s.
They'll come 'round sooner or later. The Netbook-Deniers.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
A work colleague bought an Asus EeePC in December, and it he is very happy with it.

It's small (although it's one of the bigger models) enough to put it under the jacket when it starts raining (that happened yesterday) and it's powerful enough to run (although a little slower than ideally) Windows Vista.

And most of all, the battery lasts five hours while he is working (and working here consists mostly of testing software running on a web server (IIS) and accessing a database (SQL Server 2005), all running in this computer).

The only problem is that it only has one memory slot.

The only reason I haven't bought one myself (apart from the lack of money
) is that they are too big for what I want, something that can be used as a book.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

This one is little. It is only a 8.9" screen....a little over 10" wide total. I can just drop it in my purse and go. It weighs almost nothing.

And, mine runs Windows XP and runs just as fast as my old laptop did.

I was kind of worried about the memory, too, and mine has one dedicated memory card slot. But, right now, without the extra memory, it runs fast and good. And, I can always add a memory card to it later if I need to.

Plus, it is pretty and pink. I know, I know....girly.

new topics

top topics

join