It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq to chair U.N. disarmament conference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 10:45 AM
link   
UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- Iraq will chair the United Nations' most important disarmament negotiating forum during the panel's May session.

At the rules-minded United Nations, it's not a country's status with international weapons inspectors, but the letters in its name that determine which member state chairs the Conference on Disarmament.
www.cnn.com...

Click on the WORLD section and you will see the article on the right hand side.

[Edited on 01/29/03 by nyeff]

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 11:06 AM
link   
And Libya is heading up some sort of UN Human Rights group - [shakes head]

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
** there is a space in the URL that needs to be deleted to get to the page ***

I know it has great shock value when the Drudge or Limbaugh/Hannity clone sites/pundits rail against the ironic to try and say the UN is useless, but take a deep breath and look at it rationally: a "chair" on one of these things doesn't come anywhere close to dictatorial power over the the confrence and does not grant a more weighted vote over the other 65 or 70 nations that come together for these things. Truth be told, we partner with Iraq to this day, have partner countries with far worse human rights records and support much more repressive regimes globally than either Libya or Iraq.

posted on Jan, 29 2003 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob88
And Libya is heading up some sort of UN Human Rights group - [shakes head]

Yes of course the USA should chair every UN commitee especially human rights where the fact that it continues to murder its own people draws continued attention from groups such as Amnesty International.In fact it wasn't too long ago they were linching blacks up for looking at a white woman.Since when did they become so self righteous?

posted on Jan, 30 2003 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1

In fact it wasn't too long ago they were linching blacks up for looking at a white woman.Since when did they become so self righteous?

And that's why Libya has the right to have the UN Humans Right chair ?????

posted on Jan, 30 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   
it wasn't that long ago the Brits were drawing and qurtering their own citizens in public. What makes THEM so self righteous?

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Yes of course the USA should chair every UN commitee especially human rights where the fact that it continues to murder its own people draws continued attention from groups such as Amnesty International.In fact it wasn't too long ago they were linching blacks up for looking at a white woman.Since when did they become so self righteous?

You watch too many American TV shows, get a clue.

By the way, the Death Penalty here in the US kills white people more often and quicker in the process than minorities. Just shut-up about the RACIST BS.

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I must have been asleep that day when the "Lynch a black man for looking at a white woman" statute was examined.

Believe all the crap you want to over there about us if you'd like. As for me, I have enough sense to understand that nations that are nations of laws, such as the U.S. and U.K. are heads above nations ruled by despots and tyrants. To have a world club that places both groups on the same par is inherently flawed on the outset.

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
JB, c'mon - I would expect a more intelligible argument from you, of all people, than �whites used to lynch blacks.� People get more caught up in what the US has done in the past than what other nations are doing in the present, it seems.

posted on Feb, 1 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Iraq will chair the United Nations' most important disarmament negotiating forum during the panel's May session.

Sounds like the wolf will be guarding the hen house soon (present time scenario).

By May, the "new Democratic" Iraqi government might have some astute insights.

I seriously doubt that Saddam will be a major player at that time.

top topics

join