It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Severe Weather Thread 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
Similar to the Severe Weather Thread 2008 by OzWeatherman
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not even a week into the new year, and western Washington State is currently under a major Flood Warning.
Most rivers aren't expected to crest until tomorrow, at the earliest, and they're already breeching their banks.. At least 5 major rivers will be recorded higher than any time in known history, and all others also expect serious flooding. The rain here will be non-stop until tomorrow, and it usually takes another day for all that water to drain into the main runoff routes.

Highways are already closed, and people will be losing their homes.

Just to give you an idea how bad this is going to be, here's the river gauge by my home.

Here's the river it flows into... already at flood stage 4. Remember, it's not expected to crest until tomorrow.

Snohomish County Flood Warning System and Emergency Information
www.co.snohomish.wa.us...

King County Flood Services and Resources
www.kingcounty.gov...

I realize this isn't so much a conspiracy, but may be a worthy topic for discussion

Peace

[edit on 8-1-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   
I'm here in the Fraser Valley about an hour from Vancouver, BC., bordering your state.

This weather is unreal. First we had snow, then freezing temps, arctic outflow winds with windchill down to minus 29, then more snow falls. Now it's warm, raining heavily, melting the snow and flooding.

Our news says to expect roof collapses, never had that one before. Some buildings have collapsed. There's mudslides, avalanche warnings, flood watches and warnings, rivers rising, etc.

I can see the Fraser River from my home, it looks high but hasn't topped it's banks. We've been told to clear our own storm drains in our streets to help out.

We normally don't get much snow around Vancouver, unlike the rest of Canada. It snowed consecutively, never allowing the snow to melt in between. I've lived in the Prairies one winter, and it snows all the time, but doesn't suddenly warm up and do rapid melts in the middle of winter. Even when we've had the temps warm up during snowfalls, we get the in between freezing rain, that's also hazardous, but this just turned from fluffy snow to a torrential downpour.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
Apparantly Alaska is experiencing a rare cold snap of minus 60 lastng for weeks now.
The cold air is stalling in a ridge.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
I've lived in Washington for over 30 years and I've never seen this widespread of a flood event. Historic maxes on many rivers with at least 20 flooding.

I'm above the 100 year flood plane, but the drainage for the local creek is overflowing and the water is on my street about half way up a few driveways.

We are surrounded by water - all the passes are closed from slides, so you can't travel East. All roads south such as Interstate 5 is now impassible, the only way to drive still open is North to Canada.

Should be an interesting day.

Here's some flows near me.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   

(CNN) -- Historic floods in western Washington have pushed thousands to evacuate, caused the closure of a major interstate and threatened to crest every river and stream in the area, according to authorities. As much as 13 inches of rain had fallen in some areas in western Washington on Wednesday, the National Weather Service office in Seattle, Washington, said.

Thousands flee flooding in western Washington

[edit on 8-1-2009 by lernmore]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
it's a little bit nippy in England

Apparently that's big news or somehting,cos it's the coldest its been for a while. I used to call it "winter"

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I am from Chattanooga Tennessee area...
Just thought I would add a tidbit about our weather here...

Tuesday night I was watching the news they reported that we had 3 inches of rain in a 12 hour period.It just poured rain here for days anyhow...

The kids in school were suppose to go back to school Wednesday morning but school was canceled because of server weather...(flooding)
That rarely ever happens here...Not just because of rain...

But we are having flooding here too...In many areas like East Ridge...
As the waters will be cresting over flood stage here today...

The weather is escalating...We have had more tornadoes this year too...

Normally we don't have extremely cold weather until at least January or so but it started on the first day of November this year...

Really freaky weather everywhere...

I understand it is much worse in other places though...
My heart goes out to everyone...Keep safe...

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
figured i'd bring this thread back after doing a search

i live in the fargo/moorhead area of north dakota and minnesota and on top of it all i live right on the river.

this is becoming a terrible situation with the flood, it hasn't crested yet and the radio reports are saying it's supposed to get to 43-44 feet and many levees (sp?) are breaking.

the national guard are all over the town and it's starting to feel like a martial law type thing going on, i've watched many of them telling not only citizens but also the police and sheriffs what to do, this is a very bad place right now and i thought i'd bring it up to keep people in other places informed of what's going on here in my neck of the woods

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I cant see any problems with the weather myself.
Perhaps you might like bandido's?

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Yes, in Fargo flood stage is 18ft. It is now almost 40ft. and isn't expected to crest until Sat.

They think it will stay at crest level 3 to 5 days.

Evacuations have started, major roads closed, it's a scarey mess, my son is there sandbagging, he attends college in Moorhead MN., also flooding.

posted on Mar, 26 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Denver is supposed to be having a crazy blizzard today and its almost april! I got an e-mail stating TV services could be effected because of the feeds that come from there it's so bad.

top topics

join