It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Arctic Ice Sheet Imagery - trying to find

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Hello ATS,
This is my first post. I've been trying to find the latest satelite imagery for the Artic Ice Sheet (North polar region) and have spent the last hour trying to find a source. Google is only pulling up hits for the Antarctic or news stories saying what could happen.

I want to find imagery for the most recent time possible as I have heard from a friend that the ice is expanding rapidly this year and want to see if this is actually the case.

If anyone can provide a link it would be much appreciated as it will settle a 'debate' we've been having.

I hope someone on ATS can help me out with this as it would be confusing to say the least if there is a massive expansion in ice coverage this year.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
bump.
Anyone out there?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Try this YT video. Captured screenshots of the NP via satellite data.

North Pole

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by mrlondon

This will get you there. Good luck in the debate.
arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Here's some arctic imagery but you know it's pretty dark up there this time of year, right?
www.weatheroffice.gc.ca...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Thanks everyone for the links, I've found this for Google Earth that is quite useful and almost realtime: Google Earth Overlay

And there's a few more on this page: NSIDC Globes

So it looks to me (a layman) like it's not expanding abnormally - but what is interesting if you open it in Google Earth is seeing how in September it was way below the 1979-2008 Median but by late November/December it's almost back to the Median line.

So I guess my friend is correct in saying it's expanding faster, but it's coming from well below average in September and back to 'normal' by now.

If you've got the time have a look at it in Google Earth it's updated daily so you can keep an eye on it!

Not exactly good data for the proponents of MMGW though!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   

A single season rebound doesn't amount to much as far as judging trends go. There has been a decline over time.

Warming may be happening. The cause and "cure"... ?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes of course it's meaningless in terms of trends but equally so were the number of stories back in september saying it'll not recover this year and forecasting impending doom.

I just wish the west would get its act together one way or another, to be honest I'm not 100% convinced by the doom sayers but I still think it's a pretty good idea to curb out emissions and get more energy efficient regardless, after all it'll be cheaper in the long run.

We need some serious action based on pragmatism and being rational - not scare tactics or dismissal.

top topics

join