It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abandoned radio facility near Groom Lake border

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Google Earth overlay
I found this "Western Lincoln County Wilderness Map" and calibrated
it for google earth. You need to fiddle with the image transparency
control to get the overlay just right.

The white areas are private land. The well known spots show up, such
as the metropolis of Rachel, "The City" (bulldozer art), etc. Now what
is interesting is the abandoned radio site at

37.543119 -115.772502

turns out to be on private land. Everyone always assumed it was
military.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Nellis range map with fixes

There are a few private fixes on this map.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by gariac
Google Earth overlay
I found this "Western Lincoln County Wilderness Map" and calibrated
it for google earth. You need to fiddle with the image transparency
control to get the overlay just right.

The white areas are private land. The well known spots show up, such
as the metropolis of Rachel, "The City" (bulldozer art), etc. Now what
is interesting is the abandoned radio site at

37.543119 -115.772502

turns out to be on private land. Everyone always assumed it was
military.

gariac: according to the .kmz file for GE from Dreamland resort, that radio site is INSIDE the border. I would hate to see someone make a trip in there to find that out !

[edit on 27-11-2008 by FosterVS]

[edit on 27-11-2008 by FosterVS]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
It's not listed in the FCC antenna database. What this means it is not private but owned by the US Government.

FCC antenna search site

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

The site is no longer active, so there wouldn't be any commercial licenses in the active FCC database. It is sometimes possible to find the applications for expired licenses.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by FosterVS

I wouldn't put too much faith in that kmz. It is supposed to be the old border, i.e prior to land grabs, but even that part wasn't done correctly. In fact, it looks like a corner was missed:
radio_facility

The only person who really knows for sure is Chuck Clark. He has GPS coordinates of nearly every orange post.

In any event, nobody would make a trip JUST to see that abandoned facility, and you always must watch the border markings, not your GPS. There is only one place where you can legally cross the border, i.e. the road to Stonewall Mountain.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by gariac

I wouldn't put too much faith in that kmz. It is supposed to be the old border, i.e prior to land grabs, but even that part wasn't done correctly. In fact, it looks like a corner was missed:
radio_facility

The only person who really knows for sure is Chuck Clark. He has GPS coordinates of nearly every orange post.

In any event, nobody would make a trip JUST to see that abandoned facility, and you always must watch the border markings, not your GPS. There is only one place where you can legally cross the border, i.e. the road to Stonewall Mountain.

I wouldn't make a trip just to see that, but it is on my list of things to check out on my next trip.

Why the hell hasn't he published them somewhere?

[edit on 28-11-2008 by FosterVS]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Chuck was in the process of documenting every orange pole at the time of the alleged stolen road sensor incident. He house was raided by the FBI, but I assume he got his computer back. I don't think they ever got his GPS, so he does have the data. I assume his court settlement might have something to do with not publishing the data.

I know Chuck has been back since he moved out of the area, though he doesn't stay in Rachel on his visits.

I digitized a bit of the USGS border last night. It lines up once in a while with the DLR waypoint, but neither matches the maps used by the county. I suppose the only thing to do is to read the public law orders and compute the border.

I have a real distrust of any information that I can't verify with a legal document, or where I don't have first hand information. I have GPS tracks of most of the roads near the border, though I'm always hesitant to publish such information since you never know who might take a kmz, get into trouble, then try to sue me. For instance, I have documented most of the roads near Bald Mountain, but at times they get washed out.

Bald Mountain has the only remote camera I've seen with a pan/tilt motor. They don't move the camera much, so you need a team of people by the border to get the base to move the camera.

new topics

top topics

join