It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is the last thing you want to see floating beside you in the water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
BBC video segment
Fire Ants Create A Life Boat
www.ebaumsworld.com...

Just when you though you've seen it all.
Nature is truly remarkable.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Wow. I've had an adoration for insects since I was in high school. I even had a bug collection that helped me learn about them in preparation for a science competition I participated in each year. But I never saw anything as remarkable as that. Very cool video! Thanks for sharing.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I've always had a phobia about biting (or stinging) insects, I was bitten by a fire ant as a kid. But you have to respect them, in a way. As far as we know, the entire human race could be seen as nothing more than ants by any other evolved sentient race...which really puts things into perspective.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
That is pretty neat. It's amazing how strong those little creatures are. To be so miniscule, they are very powerful insects.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Whoa buddy. I'm an old river rat and I've never seen anything like those ants. They do work well together.

Watching the video gave me the shivers.

It is absolutely right that I would not want that floating beside me in the river.

Good find.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by imd12c4funn

Thats an amazing vid~great find!

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I came upon something like this in Florida as a kid. I saw a big red something floating on a huge puddle on the grass. I walked over but could not make it out until it was too late. I was covered by a few of those ants and boooy did it hurt. I was lucky though that I wasn't covered in more.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I love the fact that when it really comes down to it they worked together to survive, forgeting all else.

They came together to achieve the seeming impossible, not stampeding one another in desperation to singularly survive.

I'd like to think humans would do the same.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I was living on a small island about 15 years ago when there were some MAJOR floods. I saw a couple of them floating about. I always knew what fire ants were, but the possibility of running into a couple thousand at once honestly scared me more than alligators. It is absolutely AMAZING to me what nature can do to save itself.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
So what IQ level in comparison to human ways of thinking is it to work out somthing like that since they don't speak to each other and don't have lessons at school? I know each generation learns from another as in to copy, but its still takes memory, if not inbuilt memory designed for them to do that.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
If memory seves me, it is chemical.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I have battled ants on the Central Ridge of Florida, and I am not surprised by this a bit. Their resiliency is amazing, and they do seem to come up with remarkable solutions to problems that appear to be quite intelligent.

top topics

join