It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Landmine Disposal Machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Everyone's got to read this for themselves. All I have to say is, it's people like this that make an effort to try and save lives, and have a goal towards all humanity, that give me hope for the future of mankind.
story.news.yahoo.com.../afp/20040329/hl_afp/japan_landmines_040329022238

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Thats definately a very giving person to have put forth the money and research to make one of those. He actually donates them too, that guy is a true humanitarian. He even refused to sell them to the military.

Mine clearing is one of the ten most dangerous jobs, I'm glad we can send a machine to do it now.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by IKnowNothing
Everyone's got to read this for themselves. All I have to say is, it's people like this that make an effort to try and save lives, and have a goal towards all humanity, that give me hope for the future of mankind.
story.news.yahoo.com.../afp/20040329/hl_afp/japan_landmines_040329022238

I just wish that all of the countries of the world would stop making the damn things. They should make the manufacturer's of the landmines hang out with some children who have innocently stepped on these things.
Hopefully that would make them change their tune.

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I would think a simple method for an army to deactivate mines would be best. Then they could dig them up afterward and move them to new places, instead of leaving them behind...

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Getting rid of mines altogether is a better option I think...

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I just wish that all of the countries of the world would stop making the damn things. They should make the manufacturer's of the landmines hang out with some children who have innocently stepped on these things.
Hopefully that would make them change their tune.

There was an International treaty banning the use of landmines that was signed by 150 nations. The US refused to sign it though.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 29 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think they are too practical and cheap for many countries to stop using. But there are ways around them.

I remember reading of a battle in Central africa where the rebels used Toyota hiaces with guns on the back, and raced over the mine fields.

By the time the mines exploded the trucks were gone, they managed to attack and destroy a govt base using this method. I forget the situation of it but a western reporter said it was the most amazing attack he had ever seen.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Nice find, and it's wonderful to see someone doing something about the problem of landmines. There had been a project to train rats to sniff the things out. Don't know the status of that, however.

Moving them isn't an option, Chook -- after some time in the ground, conditions change and often they'll explode as you're trying to move them.

posted on Mar, 30 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
"But Amemiya rejected both offers. "I have no business with the military," he said."

owned. a very nice guy. amazing that he wants (and has resources to) clear the worlds mines :O

top topics

join