It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you and your spouse totally disagree on political candidates?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
My lovely wife of 20+ years and I have never been interested in politics until this election. This election, I've found out that we totally disagree on political issues and who we each want to vote for.

It makes for some interesting debates. She is dead set on who she's voting for, and I am as well. There's no budge from either of us. I don't think we've ever debated anything to death like we have for our political preferences. Of course, our arguing doesn't cause problems, it's kind of exciting, if that makes sense. You can't agree on everything in a marriage.

Are there any others on the board who have the same problem?

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I'm surprised to see this thread although I don't know why. We can't be the only family in America that is having this disagreement.

My husband is a democrat, wanted Hillary to be the nominee, but now that it is Obama he is voting for Obama. He has listened to both candidates in debates and researched the issues and says he can live with him being President. He asked me a question the other day and I almost fell over. I thought I don't know this man anymore. (not going into the question) He has always voted a straight Democratic ticket and will this time as well.

As for me, I don't really like McCain, but feel what's coming our way internationally in the next few years is going to be so serious, we must have a President that knows how to deal with (unfortunately) military options in an intelligent manner. I am a Democrat, but I am voting for McCain. As for the rest of my votes, if you voted for this version of the bailout I will vote against you no matter your political affiliation.

So the political debates go on. I don't think I have ever been so anxious for an election to just be over.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Oh yeah, I can't wait until the election is over. Either she, or I are going to get to rub some face in it.
Maybe I'll send her flowers that day. She can take it as a congratulatory gift, or a blatant rub your nose in it gift.

I can't believe that no one is going through this with their spouse.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I guess we are the only two going through this. lol Either that or no one is interested in talking about it. I thought it was a great subject.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I did too.

Oh well that proves we are the exception that proves the rule, or exceptional if you will. Good company.

and yes I am trying to BUMP this. I thought it was a great topic.

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
This is out and out war!
I came home today to find my wife had stuck a sign for her candidate on my front lawn! GRRRRR.....

I just took it down and hide the darn thing. lol

posted on Oct, 25 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Now now, as a God fearing American YOU have to defend her right to say it or in this case stick it. LOL

I get the irritation, maybe you need to get 2 signs.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
We were both supposed to register to vote this year. I did, but I found out she didn't. So....her sign won't be displayed in my front yard. She never said a word, but she knows I took it down. She didn't expect the sign to stay in the yard. She just loves getting my goat. She got her satisfaction when she saw my face when I first saw the sign. She was snickering like nobodies business.

Now only if I can find a car magnet with my candidate, I'm going to stick it on her car where she can't see it---but everyone else can!

What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. lol

[edit on 26-10-2008 by Clark W. Griswold]

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I'm not married but I've had all-out war with my mother over who she and I could vote for.

She wants to vote for McCain for less-than-respectable reasons (read: sheeple reasons) and beleives that I should too.

I told her that I am considering voting for Bob Barr--I do not like his voting record, but I feel that voting for him would help get the LIbertarian Party more regocnition and break us out of this two-party chokehold.

She responded by saying that "A vote for anyone other than McCain is a vote for Obama." I threw up a little into my mouth.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Some of the reasons people pick their candidate are so funny, it's scary. For instance, I have a relative who is voting for McCain, only because she says he has an American flag on his campaign plane and Obama doesn't. That's her whole reasoning...lol

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
My spouse and I try not to discuss politics anymore before it causes a divorce. That he has a different opinion than I do isn't the problem. It's the reasons he gives for that opinion. He spews out propaganda more than the candidates themselves. I really don't know where he comes up with half the stuff he does. Then, when I try to argue my side with actual facts (that I spent quite a bit of time researching), he asks me "Where did you get THAT?" It would help if he was informed, but his idea of knowledge is repeating the 10 second blurb he heard on the 24 hour news network. I know who he'll vote for and he knows who I'll vote for, and we leave it at that and talk about the weather.

I have always told my kids that they should have their own opinions, but they had better be informed opinions.

And to marry for money.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Oh, yeah, I have gotten that, my relatives saying "You can't listen to the liberal-biased media!" but then coming back with "That isn't a verifiable news source if I actually do step outside the MSM.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
My girlfriend and I don't talk about politics anymore either. She's loved Obama ever since Kucinich dropped out, and I can't trust any candidate who gets a lot of positive publicity from mainstream news sources. So, consequentally she thinks I'm paranoid and I think she's hard-headed. It makes for a lot of frustration.

join