It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Eruption of 3 Volcanoes Has Scientists Asking Questions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
standeyo.com...
How likely is it that three neighboring volcanoes would all erupt at the same time -- as the Kasatochi, Okmok and Cleveland volcanoes in the Aleutians did this summer?

About as likely as a storm that only appears once in a thousand years, says Anchorage volcanologist Peter Cervelli, who'll deliver a paper on the subject this winter to the American Geophysical Union...

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

That will be worth looking into. I hope this thread get's some well-deserved attention.

Good find!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
reply to post by karl 12

That will be worth looking into. I hope this thread get's some well-deserved attention.

Good find!

Maxmars, thanks for the reply-it looks like this is a once in a thousand year event-pretty small in geological timescales but quite impressive to us mammals.

I found this bit interesting:

"One (of the possible explanations) focuses on the fact that all three volcanoes lie within the rupture zone of the 1957 "Great Aleutian Earthquake," a magnitude 8.3 tremor that generated a tsunami that damaged buildings in far-off Hawaii. Because there was so much disruption of earth along the quake's fault line, Cervelli said, the ground around it was drastically distorted and compressed".

Cheers Karl

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Ooops

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
More info and updates links:
eruptions.wordpress.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Having three volcanoes in the 1,500-mile arc erupting all at once, however, is less likely, said Cervelli, who devised a computer calculation to determine the odds. "It turns out that something like this probably happens once every 100 years."

It is one of the most active volcanic region in the world, the volcanoes in question are closely related. This is hardly ATS material.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

Well the fact that all three erupted together implies a possible 'common mechanism'. What would this common mechanism be? That makes it a conspiracy

I have this irrational fear that there will eventually be a chain reaction of eruptions that trigger super volcanoes

[edit on 19-11-2008 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

They are all connected to the same magma chamber is a dead give away. Eruptions usually occur when the chamber is full and the magma is pressured to the surface.

Where is the conspiracy?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Waldy

They are all connected to the same magma chamber is a dead give away. Eruptions usually occur when the chamber is full and the magma is pressured to the surface.

Where is the conspiracy?

Hah! If you don't even give me enough credit to know that an eruption occurs from the build up of magma pressure, then why are you even asking me?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Waldy

Where is the conspiracy?

They're a long way from each other. While they are connected to the same plate boundary area, the same magma chamber is impossible over that distance. If it were the same chamber, it would be a larger one than resides under Yellowstone. Obviously that isn't the case for the Aleutians.

And the Aleutians isn't exactly a calm area volcanically, I fail to see any potential for a conspiracy if they are all erupting (or were) at the same time.

[edit on 19-11-2008 by apex]

top topics

join