It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supertyphoon Jangmi, A monster!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 08:33 PM
link   
How come nobody has seen this one so far? Im thinking a few lives will be at stake with this killer and I wish all the best to people in those areas that will be affected

At 272100 UTC, Typhoon Jangmi (0815) with central pressure
915 hectopascals was centred within 30 nautical miles of
two two point one degrees north (22.1 N) one two three
point five degrees east (123.5 E) and is forecast to move
northwest at about 10 knots for the next 24 hours.

This is an absolute monster of a storm, a central pressure of 915hPa, sustained max winds of 115 knots (about 215kph) with gusts over 165 knots (about 305kph)!!!!

Looks like its going to hit Taiwan, graze the coast of China and swing back out towards sea, heading for southern Japan. Hopefully it wont strenghten when it does that.

www.weather.gov.hk...

www.weather.gov.hk...

severe.worldweather.org...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yep its a monster all right.

This is going to be one of those hundreds of thousands ones where ever it hits. Sad.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
news.xinhuanet.com...

East China provinces issue warnings as typhoon Jangmi approaches

www.chinaview.cn 2008-09-28 10:49:29

FUZHOU, Sept. 28 (Xinhua) -- The eastern provinces of Fujian and Zhejiang of China on early Sunday morning issued sea and land warnings as typhoon Jangmi approaches.

The observatories of the two provinces urged residents to beware of strong winds and heavy rains, while provincial flood control headquarters told governments at lower levels to evacuate people and recall vessels back to harbor.

Jangmi, the strongest typhoon this year that was packing winds of up to 234 km per hour, was 310 km southeast of Hualien, Taiwan, at 5 a.m. Sunday, according to the Fujian Provincial Observatory.

It is expected to hit land on Sunday afternoon or night, and make a second landfall in Fujian on Monday afternoon or night, the observatory said.

Rough water was already a problem on Saturday. Chinese rescuers saved 37 sailors aboard two foreign-registered vessels that encountered mechanical failure during strong winds off the coast of southern Guangdong Province.

Earlier this week, Hagupit, the 14th strong typhoon this year, landed in Maoming, Guangdong, on Wednesday morning. It killed 17 people in the southern city of Yangjiang alone.

Hagupit left China on Thursday morning and moved into Vietnam as a severe tropical storm. In Vietnam, landslides and flooding caused by Hagupit claimed more than 20 lives
...and that's your up-to-the-minute update

posted on Sep, 28 2008 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by reject

Thanks for the update

Keep em coming

I now realise why we were getting nine sets of ship weather observations from near the center of the cyclone. It was from those stranded ships and their rescuers. Was unusual to see vessels near a storm of this magnitude

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Im actually really surprised that this thread didnt get that much attention. Supertyphoon Jangmi was the strongest typhoon of the season and I think it was stronger than the hurricanes that hit the USA this year. I literally saw footage of people being blown off their feet, in Taiwan and it wasnt even a direct hit

Maybe other countries dont matter as much

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Maybe other countries dont matter as much

There's your answer!

Western media acts like westerners are more valuable than the rest of the world. Hundreds of people can die in a terrorist attack in another country but nobody cares much, if 10 people die in a terrorist attack say in the USA, then everybody starts to care all of a sudden.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I feel your pain, to be honest I didn't see this thread until now, otherwise I would have posted sooner.

It does seem that no one cares if it isn't directly affecting one of the 'major' countries.

On topic I saw a brief mention on the ABC midday news today, this storm is the fourth to hit and is the largest of the four.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
If anyones interested any further, here's the latest threat map images for Jangmi and the typhoon just off Vietnam

www.jma.go.jp...

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Hopefully not too many people get hurt by this, I'm hoping a lot of them are used to the Typhoons around those areas, and know what to do.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
hey, look at that....
our weather machine makes better hurricanes than thiers...

ummm....oh, sorry, couldn't resist.
but well, 200+ mph winds, the thing is huge...
wish I had seen this earlier.
I was halfway serious about my little joke up above by the way...
we hit them, they hit us, so we hit them again....I can't help but wonder if there's a little bit of weather warfare going on here.

top topics

join