It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunken Continents: Zealandia and the Kerguelen Plateau

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Zealandia, also known as the New Zealand continent, is a nearly submerged continent that sank after breaking away from Australia 60-85 million years ago[2] and from Antarctica between 130 and 85 million years ago. Most of it (93%) is now submerged under the Pacific Ocean.

www.nationmaster.com...(continent)

The Kerguelen Plateau (IPA: /kɚˈɡeɪlən, ˈkɝɡələn/[1]) is an underwater volcanic large igneous province (LIP) in the Indian Ocean. It lies about 3,000 km to the southwest of Australia and is nearly three times the size of Japan. The plateau extends for more than 2,200 km in a northwest-southeast direction and lies in deep water.

www.answers.com...

Stumbled across these two today, and thought it may be something relevant to some folks here on ATS' interest.
Now, there's no evidence of civilization on either of the submerged continents, and I didn't see any evidence of human habitation mentioned in the articles, especially with the ages they were above sea level.
Kerguelen seems like it used to be a paradise, amazing to think it's now under a kilometer of ocean.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by RuneSpider]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Woa New Zealand is 93% underwater, that's pretty nuts. Too bad too, I think this world could use 93% more New Zealand

I don't think it's a matter of finding Atlantis anymore either. I think it's a matter of figuring out which Atlantis is the real Atlantis

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Heh, will the real Atlantis please stand up?

Wel, these places sank well before humans started to create civilizations, and there are actually several cultures that could have inspired the Atlantis story, my personal favorite would the Minoans.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Has anyone else heard of this?
en.wikipedia.org...(lost_continent)
I thought it would fit here

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Heh, will the real Atlantis please stand up?

Wel, these places sank well before humans started to create civilizations, and there are actually several cultures that could have inspired the Atlantis story, my personal favorite would the Minoans.
I was rooting for the Minoans too, but I am starting to doubt that... I was thinking that it might have been between Africa and Australia somewhere....Will we ever know?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Nice find OP.

I always thought this was a beautiful image:
files.abovetopsecret.com...

As an aside (albeit related!):

What's geographically wrong with Australia?

It's above Sea-Level !

top topics

join