It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

help identify this base, please!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I've been looking at the msn live link and there are a couple of things that stand out:
1. This building seems to not have a single window.
2. If you look carefully at the grass around the building it is at an angle. Thus the ceiling of the ground floor of the building seems to reach the same height as the top of the grass around it. Sort of like a little step pyramid.

There is no way that this is verizon or any other regular business. There would be no reason to build it this way, windowless, expensive, and so secure. It may be a com relay station for secure gov communications, maybe something to do with NORAD. I can't tell, which seems to be the very purpose of the building to begin with. But it is it not a standard commercial building.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
it was built with it's walls at angle to make it resistant to strong winds, considering it's location, it's in a prime tornado area.

notice the parking lot.... large enough to accommodate 20 + cars.

Large AC units on the building, probably keeping a lot of electronics and/or computers cool. These units are to big for the size of bldg just for comfort.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The Monopole:
Has 3 or 4 dishes mounted on the top, but from the looks of it, that pole also houses a variety of antennas inside the pole for additional radio communications.

The building: Quite possibly an underground power grid control center, but just guessing. From the looks of it, capable of a sustaining a nuclear blast, has a fallout shelter, and food for months if not years that can support the staff from 30 to 50 people.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
another view......

note the truck's decals

[edit on 31-7-2008 by wrathchild]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
i appreciate everyones ability to find out so much so fast, wow, i pulled the vid becuase after reading everyones ideas on the structure, i did not want to freak anyone out, or mis lead anyone on the building. I can't believe someone actually wrote that worked at the site, I will tell you that for the last fifteen years this place has been a mystery, I ran across it originally taking a back road to walcott iowa, instead of I80.

I never once in fifteen years seen mcloud trucks in the lot like in the picture from the tax office though, although plenty of the big white vans like in the sattelite pics.

That fence was there before 2001 though, meaning it was pre 911.

Now the guy who worked there, I like my freedom, so maybe you can get me and the guy from muscatine a tour?

anyways great work everyone and thanks...

DpDOG

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by wrathchild

Can you tell what it says on the decals?
I don't have my CSI gear with me so it just blurs when I zoom in with my image viewer.
Great pic by the way, how did you get it?

Never mind, sorry, I missed reading a page of the thread.

[edit on 7/31/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
If nothing else, they have a great lawn.

@salchrana............nice!

Doesn't look all that sinister to me. I've seen other utitilies garrisoned up like this just to prevent vandalism and such........Texas DPS communication offices are very similar with underground architecture and sloped sides to protect against strong wind and tornados.

As for the fences having inward canting barbed-wire strands which would appear to be for "keeping people in".....it's a insurance liability thing. If an intruder gets cut-up and hung-up in the wire they want them inside the perimeter of the fenced area....not outside where successful lawsuits have been filed by failed perps. Insane, I know.

Hm, they don't pay much taxes do they?

No, not at least to the city of Davenport. If I unlock my wifi and allow those around me to use it, can I declare myself a "utility" and apply for zero tax liability....?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Geez, 60 plus posts.

Get the address of the building. Go to
assessor's office website

Enter address, get owners name. Case closed.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Davenport City Assessor

Parcel Number: S3005-07A
Route Number: S02013A
Deedholder: MCLEOD NETWORK SERVICES INC

Property Location: 5617 W LOCUST ST
DAVENPORT, IA
Business Name/Description: MCLEOD USA NETWORK SERVICES IN
Sec-Twn-Rng/Lot-Block: 030-078-003
Subdivision:
Legal Description: 385' X 560' NE COR NW NE (EXC N 15' TO CITY FOR ROW #2002-52137)

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I looked this up on live search maps and it looks rather harmless, seeing as there is a trailer park about 100 feet away from the building which is off N Fairmont St. This is the one you were talking about? With the large pole coming out from the roof? The live search picture doesn't show it, but it was probably for a microwave transmitter at one time.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
looks a bit like this type of building, :

www.globalsecurity.org...

looks cool..

snoopyuk

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by solo1

i am having trouble w/the youtube link. i am very much interested please give another link.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
[edit on 4-8-2008 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join