It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FM Stations Dominated By Clear Channel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
This is a major problem people. One station owning 1200 radio stations (FM and AM) nationwide is not a good thing, especially considering the fact that they also use a Top 40 list to play their "new fresh songs." I listen to rap and all the songs are the same nothing new. I don't think this is just a rap problem but a rock/rap/punk/whatever problem. We need to wake up and understand that the problem is staring us right in the face; Clear Channel and Top 40 lists. We need to put pressure on Clear Channel and other such companies to stop these top 40 lists and allow songs that contain REAL lyrics in them to be played just as much as the current songs are. I'm just getting really annoyed when I hear a new song/artist come out and it's the same # that's been playing forever and ever, it's like a broken record with a different beat. If you watch the new Korn video "Y'all want a single" you'll get my drift.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I cannot stand Clear Channel, so I'm usually one of the first to pop up in these threads. (surprise, surprise
)

the worst thing about their playlists is that they're nationwide. if you want to hear a song that's locally popular but isn't on their playlist, well, that's too bad for you. they also syndicate many of their DJs, meaning that in a lot of mid-size markets, all that's needed to run a radio station is a couple of engineers. that cuts a lot of jobs in a field where it's already notoriously hard to find a job.
of course, CC isn't solely at fault. the FCC needs to take some blame for doing away with the rules that limit the number of media outlets one company can own in one market. CC wouldn't exist if not for that. it's yet another deal that benefits corporations yet completely screws consumers.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Agreed with everything but the vote kerry,

hiyah col

ok,
here goes,
wanna see a clear channel web page?

www.funkymonkey1049.fm...

umm suddenly i see the whole meaning of hypocritical coming into view..

# clear channel.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
That is why I looove shortwave.
Nice, non-propaganda airwaves. (Except for all those catholic stations,
j/k)

The closer one company come to controling the media, the narrower the "headline" news become. Now a days you can't look anywhere without hearing/seeing the same damn news stories.

*Note* This could go in "Education & Media" topics. Just a suggestion.

Then theres ASTNN
which is not your run of the mill medium.

[Edited on 3-9-2004 by BeingWatchedByThem]

RR

posted on Mar, 10 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Two words: Satellite Radio

I bought an XM radio about 2 months ago and haven't listened to AM/FM since.

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I hate Clear Channel with a passion. They play the same ten songs over and over and over. Their top 40 stations are the worst. They play 2-3 songs and then a whole lot of commercials. Except when they have their "ten in a row!" *gasp* special thingy.

I listen to rock music, and CC owns all the local rock stations. They play the same 5-6 bands over and over and over, and I don't even like most of the crap they play.

I HATE their shock jocks. People call in saying, "Like ya'll are like, so, like funny!" Yeah, as if talking about pig orgasms is soooo totally funny.

CC

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Funny thing, I was just sitting here thinking. I worked for Clear channel. I worked in there screen printing place in Indianapolis. We had an insurence meeting,

Would you believe that there main headqurters is in Texas. Bush is from texas, isnt he?

Clear channel owns lots of things, like every out door music arena.

By the way for people that believe in 616, look how many post I have made, and this is it.
[Edited on 16-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

[Edited on 16-3-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Mar, 16 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Don't get me started! I like Rock music (Alt. Rock,Metal and Classic rock) But one station that I listion too (WXDX 105.9 Pittsburg) Plays so called Alt. rock and metal. Sure they play stuff like White Zombie, Metallica, Godsmack, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Incubus, RAtM, P.O.D, Tool, A Perfict Circle, NIN, ETC.

But now and then they throw in one of these cookie cutter bands that just popped out of nowhere with out any publisity what so ever that are no better then N*Sync that don't have no buisness what so ever to be on a rock station!

Then there is the playing the same song over and over, I like keep hearing Thunderkiss '65 and Meglomainac over and over again! But I don't mind those songs, it's the top 40 cookie cutter ones that bug the heck out of me.

And then there is calling songs that have been out there for over a month "NEW". I mean, although run by CC, the X is a good station, they could play what they wanted to (The DJs come on cussing out the FCC and all that.) but they still have to follow the FCC and CC's rules. So they still have to play like the Darkness (NOOOOOO!) and Story of the year....But they have there little shows like 9 from the 90s and you start the show that play diffrent songs. But only for a bref mute hour or one song.

First off, I have herd the diffrence in CC owned and non CC ownd. Like for instance, when driving through MD. My dad ponted out an old collage radio station that he used to listion to when he lived out there. He said that they used to play obscure stuff, at that time stuff like King Crimson and Gentle Giant. Well sure enugh he was right, they played songs that were considerd tabu by CC standards, Like Punk, underground metal, and singles from mainstrem bands that don't get major air play. But when we got back home, I herd the diffrence, there was just the same song over and over played between ads and talking. I liked non CC channels much better.

There was even one classic rock station that was said to be owned by Steel City Media, well that comony is no more, they are run by CC now. They have Bob and Tom insted of Jim Quinn, the only diffrent from that station from the other ones is that they take there play list from a 40 year old top 40 list. that simple....

But CC wants nonting more then to own all forms of Entertaniment and Communication out there. Includeing billbords. Wich sucks big time!

RR, Some people don't have the money to buy sattlelight raido and keep paying for it, so those people are stuck listioning to the FCC/CC crap that is put out there for the masses.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 02:15 AM
link   
i must concur CC sucks. 97.1 the eagle is owned by them. the station is located in dallas texas and they suck. o well

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Curiosity
Don't get me started! I like Rock music (Alt. Rock,Metal and Classic rock) But one station that I listion too (WXDX 105.9 Pittsburg) Plays so called Alt. rock and metal. Sure they play stuff like White Zombie, Metallica, Godsmack, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Incubus, RAtM, P.O.D, Tool, A Perfict Circle, NIN, ETC.

But now and then they throw in one of these cookie cutter bands that just popped out of nowhere with out any publisity what so ever that are no better then N*Sync that don't have no buisness what so ever to be on a rock station!

Then there is the playing the same song over and over, I like keep hearing Thunderkiss '65 and Meglomainac over and over again! But I don't mind those songs, it's the top 40 cookie cutter ones that bug the heck out of me.

And then there is calling songs that have been out there for over a month "NEW". I mean, although run by CC, the X is a good station, they could play what they wanted to (The DJs come on cussing out the FCC and all that.) but they still have to follow the FCC and CC's rules. So they still have to play like the Darkness (NOOOOOO!) and Story of the year....But they have there little shows like 9 from the 90s and you start the show that play diffrent songs. But only for a bref mute hour or one song.

First off, I have herd the diffrence in CC owned and non CC ownd. Like for instance, when driving through MD. My dad ponted out an old collage radio station that he used to listion to when he lived out there. He said that they used to play obscure stuff, at that time stuff like King Crimson and Gentle Giant. Well sure enugh he was right, they played songs that were considerd tabu by CC standards, Like Punk, underground metal, and singles from mainstrem bands that don't get major air play. But when we got back home, I herd the diffrence, there was just the same song over and over played between ads and talking. I liked non CC channels much better.

There was even one classic rock station that was said to be owned by Steel City Media, well that comony is no more, they are run by CC now. They have Bob and Tom insted of Jim Quinn, the only diffrent from that station from the other ones is that they take there play list from a 40 year old top 40 list. that simple....

But CC wants nonting more then to own all forms of Entertaniment and Communication out there. Includeing billbords. Wich sucks big time!

RR, Some people don't have the money to buy sattlelight raido and keep paying for it, so those people are stuck listioning to the FCC/CC crap that is put out there for the masses.

Your CC rock station is better than ours. Ours never gets new songs! Okay, they get a few every once in a while. All they play is Pink Floyd, Ozzy, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Rush, Metallica, and Puddle of Mud--they claim to play a "variety of hits--from yesterday and today!" but all they play is old stuff, and they play a new band like Trapt every once in a while. I never cared for a lot of the classic rock music, but now I hate it because I've heard it so much.

I listen to an Internet rock station that I made now. www.geocities.com...

But I still get stuck listening to regular radio a lot because I travel a lot. I used to listen to just my CD's, but that got old real fast.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   
If clear channel controls more of the radio stations, is their someway that they could get disbanded for monopolizing, because it seems to me, that every top radio station nationwide is owned by clear channel. But, I'm sure there's a loophole somewhere.

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by BiohazardMouse

Your CC rock station is better than ours. Ours never gets new songs! Okay, they get a few every once in a while. All they play is Pink Floyd, Ozzy, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Rush, Metallica, and Puddle of Mud--they claim to play a "variety of hits--from yesterday and today!" but all they play is old stuff, and they play a new band like Trapt every once in a while. I never cared for a lot of the classic rock music, but now I hate it because I've heard it so much.

I listen to an Internet rock station that I made now. www.geocities.com...

But I still get stuck listening to regular radio a lot because I travel a lot. I used to listen to just my CD's, but that got old real fast.

Yeah, we have a station like that too....it's called 93.3 the Wolf Youngstown, but it is really in Bordman. They say they play a mix, and some times they do play Godsmack, Pearl Jam, Metallica, incubus Temple of the dog, Nickelback and Puddle of Mud sometimes but they mostly play older stuff (I don't mind it) Like Black Sabbith, Deep Purple, Jake Isles Band, Eagles, the Cult, the Beattles, U2, ETC.

They even took off the afternoon show that they had called Big Radio, I guess it got too rank for them. It used to be a really good station that accualy played a mix of stuff. but now you are lucky if you hear Puddle of Mud, and that is usualy just Blurry or Control....

posted on Mar, 17 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
One of my local rock stations, 107.3 WAAF, does a good job of playing non-cookie cutter/popular bands all the time. They play a lot of good local music, and a lot of old school rock. I'm sure they're owned by Clear Channel, but it seems that they don't let the company dictate everything they play. There should be more stations like that, I think.

top topics

join