It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ripple Clouds & Yellow Sky...Acworth, GA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Anyone have any idea what is the cause of this? We have a VERY yellow sky and heavy cloud cover with ripples. Just had a storm come through though not too bad....just a bit of rain. I am going to take a few pics and post them up for a look.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Oh.....weather is in Acworth, GA zip 30101

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe
Anyone have any idea what is the cause of this? We have a VERY yellow sky and heavy cloud cover with ripples. Just had a storm come through though not too bad....just a bit of rain. I am going to take a few pics and post them up for a look.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Oh.....weather is in Acworth, GA zip 30101

Sounds like mammatus clouds which are often associated with thunderstorms. There's a few reasons why the are thought to form so I attached a wiki link rather than trying to explain them all

They often bring out different colours to the sky to, due to refracting and reflection of light sources.....I have a few pictures of orange storm clouds that I may post later (the setting sun reflected of them giving them an orange appearance)

Look forward to the images

en.wikipedia.org...

Oh and to add....checking out your weather now

[edit on 29/6/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Thanks! Here are the pics.....sorry for some blur.....had to use no flash and did not have a tripod on hand, but the color and the clouds are more than obvious.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I live in Loganville, Georgia, and the sun didnt go down till about 9, it was pretty wierd but nice at the same time.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Rome ga here, and we experienced the same thing in this area. What I want to know is: if this is normal phenomenon, why is this the first time in 40 years it has ever happened here? It looked like the Mars atmosphere after the rain, and stayed like that until it was dark. I noticed yesterday morning when I was getting off work (7am on Sat morning) that there were numerous yellow dirty looking clouds, now I would be inclined to just call it sunrise, but I have been watching the sunrise for a long time now (3rd shifter) and it is never yellow, it is pink and orange, mostly pink. Those pink clouds were present too, but big yellow ones were there too.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I've seen this in Wyoming more than a dozen times that I can remember. I've always thought it was really neat, actually. It's like wearing amber lenses. Usually, it doesn't happen during or after rainstorms... just when it's a thinner cloud cover. Someone told me that it was caused from excessive dust particles in the clouds. When we were having the Yellowstone fires, we had this from smoke high in the atmosphere, which makes sense like the dust particles.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I'm out in california, the sunset was different tonight. right now its 9:35 here and the sunset was about an hour ago.
The sky was red, the sun looked red too. I've never seen such a red sunset before. The glare thru the windows made my walls red.

Now I wish I took some pictures.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Rome ga here, and we experienced the same thing in this area. What I want to know is: if this is normal phenomenon, why is this the first time in 40 years it has ever happened here? It looked like the Mars atmosphere after the rain, and stayed like that until it was dark. I noticed yesterday morning when I was getting off work (7am on Sat morning) that there were numerous yellow dirty looking clouds, now I would be inclined to just call it sunrise, but I have been watching the sunrise for a long time now (3rd shifter) and it is never yellow, it is pink and orange, mostly pink. Those pink clouds were present too, but big yellow ones were there too.

Yup, it is a normal phenomenen

YOu just need the right conditions, ie thick water laden clouds (like storm clouds, or remnnats of storm clouds) and the sun low on the horizon

I wish I could go get my pictures from home....mines more orange then yellow though, its with an approaching storm

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by josephine

Josephine, thats due to the almost 900 fires burning here in california. If you travel up into the mountains and look down, you will be lucky to see anything but one huge smoke screen over Cali. Im not sure what was going on in everyone elses states. Also if you have asthma or any other type of breathing problems, i would suggest you do very little outdoors. State air warnings have been posted all week.

Silver

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Sorry bout that Vasa. Im not sure about the yellowness but the rippling clouds is a kewl phenomenom called Undular Bore Waves. I used to have a gif of a webcam that showed them really well. All i could find was this timelapse youtube video.

Ahh i found it. The good quality one is about 13 meg so anyone on dialup, it will take a while.

edited to add gif link

[edit on 30-6-2008 by S1LV3R4D0]

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Great videos. Really a weird thing to see. I have been in Atlanta most of my life and never seen clouds moving like water.....really like waves or ripples running through the air, and very thick cloud cover. That coupled with the strange color was a cool sight. My wife even commented on how pretty it was.

I was just hoping it was not something beautiful before a tornado hit.....we have had a few in our general area in the last couple months.

Thanks for all the replies y'all!

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
North Georgia here.

I saw it as well. It certainly was very, very odd and had a "twilight zone" feel to it.

I understand OZ that you say it's a natural phenomenon and certainly you are an expert, but I have never seen it before and it's in no way unusual to have thunderstorms in the evening in the south, in fact, that's when they usually occur during the summer.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Here is one I took on Sun June 27 in NE IN.
s284.photobucket.com...

It looked a lot weirder in person than photo shows.

new topics

top topics

join