It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if all out nuclear war happened??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
What if....?

Would there be any chance of humankind carrying on? I for one would like to think we would but it would be an unimaginable one.

scary stuff

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Just pop a paper bag over your head. I've heard it can help.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Seriously tho. It scares the sh1t out of me. I hope my family and I could survive but obviously wouldnt. Who's gonna make sure this war doesnt happen

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
You mean MAD? Mutually Assured Destruction?

Not many would be around, those that would be around (unless they were deep in a shelter (like the shadow goverment) wouldn;t be able to come out for a long time.
Plus Sagan theorized it would cause a nuclear winter and all, wouldn;t be a pleasant place to live.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
We have had TONS of radiation fallout from nuclear arms testing and so far, the results of that fallout haven't been too incredibly perceptible yet. There is a rise in many illnesses, including childhood leukemia as a direct result of this testing, but nothing that has caused obvious end of the world scenarios. The surface of the earth is a lot more radioactive than it used to be in any case.

If real nuclear war were to take place, I doubt sincerely that life would end on the planet. If the truckload of fallout from nuclear testing didn't cause publicly perceptible widespread problems then a war would likely cause a lot of destruction, but not the end of all life. For one thing, world nuclear war would not affect some areas very much. Large portions of Africa, perhaps all of it, would be unaffected. That doesn't mean that secret military bases in such areas wouldn't be nuked, but for the most part, areas that are not of any military interest or that don't pose a threat would not be nuked.

What would happen from nuclear war is that a lot less people, plants, and animals would be alive and birth defects and cancer would plague humanity for thousands of years if not longer. Most of the world would have radiation fallout on it just as it has today, so even the un-nuked areas would be living with the issue of radiation and its health effects.

[Edited on 4-3-2004 by heelstone]

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:03 AM
link   
In a nutshell, it would be the end of life as we know it, but not the end of life itself.

That said, I would have no interest in carrying on after the 'big one'. Would rather be vaporised by the first blast than watch my kids grow up with 3 heads and no arms.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blurrr

Seriously tho. It scares the sh1t out of me. I hope my family and I could survive but obviously wouldnt. Who's gonna make sure this war doesnt happen

You shouldnt be scared, you wont feel a thing. A true nuke war would desrtroy everything.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Dunno, the part of me that cares bout my family n stuff would like it to be over pretty quickly but the curious part of me would like to see how its all gonna unfold.

Anyone selling a time machine.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blurrr
Anyone selling a time machine.

As a matter of fact there are some for sale

news.bbc.co.uk...

www.geek.com...

www.sell.com...

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Unbeknownst to many, there are several nations (mostly in the middle east), that are well-prepared with many underground bunkers that are virtually subterrainean cities.. I know, I've toured them

You saw some snapshots of Iraq's during the wars....

They are also in Isreal, Saudi, Iran, Jordan, etc.

Likewise, there are many here is the US, but these are designed for government and think tank personnel. (Mt. Weather is expressly for such a purpose).

As one mentioned, there are areas of the world that would be relatively unaffected, but you would still see an ELE (Extinction Level Event), likely resulting in probably the death of 80% or more of the species....though I'm sure there are embryos, seeds, etc. in storage.

One thing's for sure...it'd be a LONG road to get back to where we are now......

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   
The whole shabang really intrigues me. Like what would happen to different things/objects/ppl at different distances. Would'nt mind a bunker with food n water n air stuff incase it did happen.

Apparently Al queda is planning a massive attack on the us in autumn. I hope that doesnt go down or it could be a start.

Why cant we all just get along.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Has anyone else heard of this planned nuke attack on the us. Could it be true

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Blurr,

There have been (and will be) many nuke threats. When making a post like this it is advisable to add some credance to your argument by adding perhaps a link or corroborating evidence.

Just a word to the wise, not a criticism.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is where I seen it.Interview on Al queda's purportes atomic attack plan

It sounds pretty real to me, which doesnt sound like good news for the rest of the world!!!!

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Well, I am sure that some would survive.....but they would grow a few extra limbs.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Blurr, that interview is old and has been attacked in various forums. What I found interesting was the interpretation of the seven weekly bombs into a 50 day cycle for Fall 2004. Has anyone else heard about this?

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
if you live near any major city in the US, you're basically screwed. if you live near any major city anywhere else you could be reletively safe. (by the way, i'm viewing this as a russia against the US nuke war).

the russians lack our technology for getting nukes placed within a meter or so of their target. so they rely on just massive bombs. say they wanted to destroy the tank manufacturing plant here in detroit. they would use, say a 50-megaton bomb or possibly more just to ensure its destruction. while if the US wanted to destroy said tank plant, they would drop something small, just enough to ensure its destruction without much damage to anything else.

plus, we have the technology to drop off multiple warheads from one missile, greatly increasing the effectiveness of the missiles. i don't think the russians, or anyone else, have it to such great precision as we do.

all in all, basically everyone is screwed in the long run

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Well these effects are all we really have to go on:

"The atomic bomb, nicknamed "Little Boy", which was dropped on the Hiroshima City, exploded at an altitude of 580 meters above a hospital close to the present A-bomb Dome (the former Hiroshima Prefectural Industrial Promotion Hall) at 8:15 am on 6 August 1945.
The atomic bomb employed uranium-235 and was equivalent in power to approximately 15 kilotons of TNT gunpowder. The dissipation of energy is believed to have been in the following ratio: bomb blast - 50%, thermal rays - 35% and radiation - 15%.
It was estimated that the bomb blast traveled about 3 km, the thermal rays, about 3.5 km, and radiation, about 2 km, from the hypocenter, respectively. (Figure prepared by Radiation Effects Research Foundation.)"

"The atomic bomb, nicknamed "Fat Man", which was dropped on the Nagasaki City, exploded at an approximate altitude of 500 meters above a tennis court at Matsuyama-cho of Nagasaki City at 11:02 am on 9 August 1945.
The atomic bomb employed plutonium-239 and was equivalent in power to approximately 21 kilotons of TNT gunpowder. The dissipation of energy is believed to have been in the following ratio: bomb blast - 50%, thermal rays - 35% and radiation - 15%.
It was estimated that the bomb blast traveled about 5 km, the thermal rays, about 4 km, and radiation, about 2.5 km, from the hypocenter, respectively. (Figure prepared by Radiation Effects Research Foundation.)"

www.hiroshima-cdas.or.jp...

They probably have created more efficiant bombs since then, but this is really the only working info that we have to go on.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
21 kilotons, compared to a 50 Megaton nuke so lets say you multiply the nagasaki bomb by 25 times and adjust the blast radius 25 times the original.

Now imagine 2,000 - 50 Megaton bomb going off around the country, (this just being a small exchange from Russia)

Now multiply that by 3 or 4 for US and responding countries.

the likely hood that we will vaporize the entire planet is pretty high. No I am not taking the planet itself. But the potential heat wave, could consume 60% of the worlds oxygen. Making Earth quite a living hell. All life will cease to exist due to suffacation, then radiation ie. Those that could breath after the volley would soon die from massive exposure to radiation.

Additionally an all out exchange could vaporize our atmosphere and the earth would be bombarded by 1,000 of times more powerfull cosmic radiation from the sun, burning everything to a crisp that was not already wiped out by the weapons. Until all the burnable fuel on the planets surface has been consumed. The ash would block the sky and the thermal radiation would bounce along until the ambient temperature become nice and toasty. The oceans would boil down and all the hard rock would start to convert to sand.

This might be what happened to Mars.

posted on Mar, 4 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
wanna know what would rock??

If there was some way possible of standing next to one when it went off and (although impossible) being able to come through unscathed ( a bit like superman could:lol
then you would know what it was like etc

top topics

<<   2 >>

join