It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plastic Fantastic- 3.5 MT Floating Garbage Heap

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This is just plain nasty...

SF Chronicle

The enormous stew of trash - which consists of 80 percent plastics and weighs some 3.5 million tons, say oceanographers - floats where few people ever travel, in a no-man's land between San Francisco and Hawaii.

The Indipendent

A "plastic soup" of waste floating in the Pacific Ocean is growing at an alarming rate and now covers an area twice the size of the continental United States, scientists have said.

ars Tech.

A looming environmental threat the size of Texas should be hard to miss, but when that threat is floating in a rarely-visited section of the Pacific Ocean and composed of a diffuse mass of plastic, it's easy for it to avoid public attention. The recent establishment of a marine preserve north of the Hawaiian Islands has refocused attention on this floating refuse heap, which has picked up the moniker the Great Pacific Garbage Patch.

So that is where it all goes! Been wondering. Maybe if I go there I will find all those odd socks I've been looking for...

I find it sickening and alarming. How could it have been kown for 10 years and nothing's been done? What can we do now? No reason or possibility to drag it ashore anyhow... Just sit and watch while it keeps growing?
The maritime life must be suffering and have been suffering alot because of this, because of us...

Mankind SUCKS!

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
There is an existing thread on this topic.

» Fragile Earth » Plastic 'toxic soup' bigger than US.

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion.

Thank you.

-thread closed-

[edit on 19-4-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

new topics

join