It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Students Punished After Buying Lunch With Pennies

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm reading opinions here that 8th graders should be seen and not heard. That what they did was a selfish act. That they jumped the gun with their mini-protest. And there was even an implication that the students learned this from the current administration? Did I read that one right?

The only thing these students are guilty of is bad timing, imo. They probably should have approached the school administrators with their concerns before protesting.

However, where did they learn to protest? Maybe from learning about MLK. Maybe from seeing a Million Man March on DC. Maybe from watching members of Phelp's Church on TV.

Or maybe they correctly interpreted the section of the 1st Amendment that guarantees them the right of peaceful assembly. The Constitution doesn't say "Students not Included".

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
AGAIN...until we know EXACTLY how long their lunch period has been we shouldn't be supporting them. What happens when/if we find out the lunch period was 30 or 45 minutes? THAT IS PLENTY OF TIME FOR A KID to eat and they shouldn't be protesting or whining about anything.

If it is in fact shown the lunch period was only 15 minutes then the kids were right to wanna have the period extended but need to handle it differently....

Still the bottom line is...how long did they previously have? So many in here are so eager to question rules and regulations, start protests and flip a lid yet have NONE of the facts....thats why MOST protest don't accomplish ----! To quick to piss and moan and don't even know why, or know why but it not be a valid gripe.

SLOW DOWN PEOPLE...

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

The original length of the lunch hour is immaterial. Whatever it was, it was something that the students had become accustomed to, and had learned to plan their activities around. So a 45 minute lunch period may be normal in Ohio, while 30 minutes is "normal" in Tennessee.

There are many factors involved here that we don't know about. So, singling out one factor, previous length, is pointless. You haven't walked in these students' shoes,so how can you judge their reaction to this change?

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
uuuuummmmmmm its the reason for their protest!!! They said the time for lunch was to short so they complained/protested...well before worrying about walking in a 12 year olds shoes...i wanna know what the original lunch period time was, just like we ALL should if we are going to back up their little fit.

So no idea what your talking about.

posted on Mar, 2 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
I don't agree with kids at the 8th grade level protesting anything.

Damn Skippy, and I really wish one of them would take out my trash.

Of course, I read, sometimes, and know by 8 now kids are on dope and doing it, kinda hard, but thank God it's not like Biblical times when 13 year olds gave birth to Messiahs. Know what I'm saying, Brother!

No. 18 for dying in Iraq.

21 for drinking.

And like 39 for protesting the man.

I watch FOX NEWS too.

Lock these penny pushers up, put 'em on a bread and water diet, then they will learn something about being hungry!

God Bless No Child Left Behind.

Vote, er... who's left that beats kids... HUCKABEE!

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by RANT

You know, your sarcastic wit would reach a much wider audience if you'd dumb it down a bit, Dr. Cox.

Line = Line + 1

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Line = Line + 1

But that would take all MY pleasure out of it and I'm an existentialist.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
THis is insanity.

I pulled this 'prank' back in school too. ANd nothing like this came of it.

I don't understand what they did wroung.

Maybe pissed off a cashier that couldn't count to 200 by ones... not to offend you cashiers out there....

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I don't think they did anything deserving detention. Maybe a quick trip to the principal's office, if anything.

At the very basic level, they did nothing wrong. They paid with legal currency, and there is no rule anywhere saying that they can't use them at school as well. Even if it was some sort of passive-agressive commentary to the school, THEY BROKE NO RULES. What kind of message does this send to people? It's not okay to protest if you break laws in the process, nor is it okay if you DON'T.

BS...the lot of it!

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
so is my government gonna punish me for paying
my income taxes with pennies cuz I'm protesting this
lame, corrupt, Bush Administration's policies ????

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join