It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Devil frog may have eaten baby dinos.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AjOH8hFHFZzy32Sp6FwL72ys0NUE

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - It was the biggest, baddest, meanest froggy ever to have hopped on Earth.

Scientists on Monday announced the discovery in northwestern Madagascar of a bulky amphibian dubbed the "devil frog" that lived 65 million to 70 million years ago and was so nasty it may have eaten newborn dinosaurs.

This brute was larger than any frog living today and may be the biggest frog ever to have existed, according to paleontologist David Krause of Stony Brook University in Stony Brook, New York, one of the scientists who found the remains.

Its name, Beelzebufo ampinga, came from Beelzebub, the Greek for devil, and bufo -- Latin for toad. Ampinga means "shield," named for an armor-like part of its anatomy.

Beelzebufo (pronounced bee-el-zeh-BOOF-oh) was 16 inches

long and weighed an estimated 10 pounds (4.5 kg).

Creepy frog if I met one, sitting there not moving and staring at you as you passed by and then WHAMMMMMMMO!!!!

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Creepy frog if I met one, sitting there not moving and staring at you as you passed by and then WHAMMMMMMMO!!!!

The French would have already eat it by the time you arrived.

Seriously though, I read this article this morning and that's one bloody big toad!

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Frogs have really big appetites. So I could only imagine what this one would eat. When I was a kid I had a bullfrog that I saw eat a bird. The bird was getting a drink and my frog swam across the pond with only the eyes above water and took the bird down. It really looked like a alligator stalking its prey.

It was a giant bullfrog, use to try and eat my wiffle balls. Had him for a few years than one day he hopped away, never to return.

[edit on 20-2-2008 by testrat]

posted on Feb, 21 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
That is Huge! Im guessing if it was around today there would be alot of posters up on windows asking if people had seen someones missing pet.

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a frog tried to eat my finger once

well ok it bit my finger

this one would probably try and eat my head or something

damn frogs

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Looks like The Hypnotoad from Futurama.

posted on Feb, 25 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Haha awesome. Gigantic toad.