It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenland Waters Freezing Over For First Time In A Decade

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

On Disko Bay in western Greenland, where a number of prominent world leaders have visited in recent years to get a first-hand impression of climate change, temperatures have dropped so drastically that the water has frozen over for the first time in a decade.

'The ice is up to 50cm thick,' said Henrik Matthiesen, an employee at Denmark's Meteorological Institute who has also sailed the Greenlandic coastline for the Royal Arctic Line. 'We've had loads of northerly winds since Christmas which has made the area miserably cold.'

Matthiesen suggested the cold weather marked a return to the frigid temperatures common a decade ago.

Source: www.cphpost.dk...

It is remarkable how fast the climate can turn. The water didn't just freeze over for the first time in a decade. It has frozen up to half a meter thick. It is about 19-1/2" thick. This isn't an isolated event. Emergencies are being declared in Siberia because of the extreme cold.

Expected temperatures of as low as minus 55 degrees Celsius (minus 67 degrees Fahrenheit) in Siberia prompted weather warnings from Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry on Wednesday.

Source: news.yahoo.com...

So this brings up the question of why. Why all the sudden the switch to extreme cold? Is this the result of greatly reduced solar activity? Or could this be that enough fresh water has finally run off into the North Atlantic that it has tipped the climate?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Indy

yeah but in a decade doesnt mean it isnt possible

alot of weather is talked about every year, like fires and cold

i think its just more people are paying attention to it now

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

I might be wrong (it could be the Dewars speaking), but I think you're missing Indy's point. He's been focused on the whole concept of the shutdown of the gulf stream for a few years now. All we've heard in the MSM has been about melting ice over the last x years. Indy and others have discussed how the shutdown of the gulfstream would result in far less salt water up north and thus a dramatic cooling down.

Time will tell.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I think we have found proof of what is causing this change.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

There seems to be a very pronounced disruption in the gulf stream.

top topics

join