It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong - Airport implements Massive RFID baggage tracking system.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I saw this on my local news last night, it is the largest RFID system in Asia. The chips are in the baggage labels, you know the big ones with the fat bar code on them. At the present they only get added to baggage leaving Hong Kong.

News Article

Edit to add: I didn't read the article properly the first time, they actually bought this stuff back in 04 and it went live yesterday!! The planning, 4 years in the making!!

The news last night said that it would increase the speed at which baggage could be tracked, and increase the amount of baggage that could be moved by around 5%. Also it would improve the effectiveness and reliability from around 80 something % to around 97%. Thus I suppose they won't loose so many bags.

Another fantastic way to get RFID in to the mainstream.

How long will it be before all major airports are using this "baggage" tracking technique?

How much of a jump is it to all suit cases coming pre chipped - to save checking in time!!

MonKey

[edit on 16/1/08 by ChiKeyMonKey]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

You know... I'm honestly curious when all this RFID craze came about. If they're not tagging your clothes, then they'll tag your bags, or your computer, heck I'm sure there's an RFID tag on my MILK carton! Did the big politico's in the govt. just have some big power or*y (just another word for power trip) get completely wasted and say "Hey! I know! lets tag everything so we can keep track of everybody and everyone! whoooo!"

"Won't it end up back firing on us? What if someone ends up finding a way to put the tags on squirrles instead?"

"nah! you're being ridiculous! more beer! whooo!"

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
This is a great idea to save a lot of money and greatly reduce the amount of lost baggage. The airlines/airports are responsible for your baggage once you check it in, and this will... OMG ALLOW THEM TO TRACK YOU EVERYWHERE YOU GO FOREVER!!!

How much of a jump is it to all suit cases coming pre chipped - to save checking in time!!

I don't know, but it sounds like a wonderful idea. Suitcases already come pre labeled for you to fill in your personal information.

It would be great to be able to have a USB suitcase that allowed you to modify the information on its chip so you wouldn't have to waste time filling out those pesky airport tags or having the airport waste money/charging you for an RFID chip every time you fly.

This quote basically sums up the mentality of those who think the chip is going to corrupt humanity:

"Won't it end up back firing on us? What if someone ends up finding a way to put the tags on squirrles instead?"

"nah! you're being ridiculous! more beer! whooo!"

Right.... why do opponents of the chip always sound like funny comic strips?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Interesting. I was just in Hong Kong last month, but it was a connecting flight . All my luggage still had the tracking tag the airport placed on it from Georgia, but it didn't look tampered with.

I still have the tags from my luggage, so if there is anything in there, I'll upload the photos of it.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

I'm pretty sure they only started using the new RFID system the other day, but better safe than sorry, they could've been using you as a squirrel, err I mean guinea pig!!

MonKey

top topics

join