It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Springtime Weather In January Returns (including Tornadoes)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
This is an interesting article I found on drudgereport.com :

For the second straight year, Mother Nature is teasing New Yorkers with a pleasant surprise in January: springtime weather conditions.

Just when it seemed like winter's bite kicked into gear with wind chills in single digits last week, some unexpected mild air is moving into the region and will make for a fantastic start to the work week. By Tuesday, temperatures should hit at least 60 degrees for much of the tri-state region.

wcbstv.com...

I was home in Connecticut up until yesterday and the weather seemed to be extremely warm. Its not even 45 degrees here in Arizona!!! (Although I am in the mountains)

According to CBS 2 Meteorologist Elise Finch, the temperatures are rising from a surge of warm air that's been able to push up the coast.

"So what happened? Well just a few days ago things were frigid as the jet stream dipped way far to the south. Now it's way up north allowing a ton of mild air to rise and really just infiltrate the entire northeast," says Finch.

And that mild air didn't waste time in making its cameo. Just after midnight on Monday morning, temperatures in Central Park were hovering around 49 degrees, which was the high temperature for Sunday.

And no I am not spouting off about global warming, this is more 'wacky weather news.'

MOD EDIT: to add (including Tornadoes) to title

[edit on 7-1-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
We're near 70 today with lots of sun and mild breezes. here in lower part

of NC. A nice break from the cold temps of last week.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Here in Central PA we're expected to hit 60+F today and tomorrow.
I'm lovin' it now, but there've been times in the past when we've paid for it later... Nor'easters in March. :shudders: C'mon Spring.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Same here,I'm also in central Pa. and it is absolutely gorgeous out today.Days like this help the oil bill come down a little.

[edit on 7-1-2008 by crowpruitt]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It snowed here last night in Prescott and has been raining on and off for a day or so.

The weather in Phoenix was overcast when I flew in yesterday. I'm assuming its still like that.

Flagstaff actually received a foot or more of snow (7K feet up).

I can't wait for summer!

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
My 2 cents from Ontario, Canada..it feels like late March or early April here.Just a few days ago it was -20.Now everything is melting, and it rained last night.
Kinda freaky.
Makes me feel like bracing for the worst.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
AccessDenied,

I feel what you are saying.

I don't necessarily believe all the hype about a pole shift happening this year, but with all the crazy things that have happened the past few years I would not be surprised.

Something big is coming and I think many people recognize it subconsciously. That's why we're all freaking out and starting wars every five minutes...

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'm so happy its warm out.. i could care less about Global Warming. I get the worst seasonal depression, and I'm actually happy today!

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Hikix I am the same about the winter blues. I cannot stand winter!!! This weather is just perfect!!!! Ohio has horrible winters so this is a nice surprise.I hope it stays like this until spring!!!!Finally get to go outside and get some schmeet done!! Ok ,watch me work now!!
D

[edit on 7-1-2008 by dntwastetime]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
60 degrees here in SE MIchigan.
But, it's cloudy and snow-melty and not much looking like spring.

We have the kitchen window cracked open and the furnace hasn't come on in hours.

The January thaw is early, and I read this would be a winter of up and down temperature swings, and they have been on the money so far..
Case in point, Accuweather claims it will be 12 degrees at night one week from now:
www.accuweather.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
There's some nasty weather over here in the Midwest now (tornado activity and warnings)
www.spc.noaa.gov...

As well as the potential for wicked weathr here
www.spc.noaa.gov...
www.spc.noaa.gov...
www.spc.noaa.gov...

While late autumn, winter thunder storms and tornadoes are not unheard, they are not all that common
Tornado reports
www.usatoday.com...
www.usatoday.com...

Of course, there high winds and colder tempeatures on the backside of this front, with a return to more seasonal weather.
*sigh*

[edit on 7-1-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
There's some nasty weather over here in the Midwest now (tornado activity and warnings)
www.spc.noaa.gov...

Oh yes. I live right on the red line East of Tulsa. We have been getting clobbered all evening!

Earlier this evening the news was showing at least five neighboring counties under tornado warnings along with at least 11 counties under severe thunderstorm warnings.

I lucked out and only got hit by 70 m.p.h. winds, hail, torrential rains(which are still coming down), lightening striking in my backyard, etc.

I can't believe we still have electric as these types of storms often takes it out.

It has just gotten really quiet outside and I do hope that means the storm is winding down and not getting ready to hit us with something else, as it's not really a good sign when it gets suddenly quiet like that.

We've had temps in the 70's yesterday and today.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

Wow!I'm not alone!
I get Seasonal Affective Disorder every winter too.
Regardless, my post today is because last night here in my part of Ontario..we had a thunder storm.Lightning and all.
Freaked me out all to hell.I don't ever remember a thunder storm in January in all my 37 years of life.
Something weird and wacky is going on.
It should be -20 C here today.Instead..It is going to be +5 C. WTF???
Good for my depression..but bad all around.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Too late to edit this in to my post.
I went out for a walk,and it was warm, foggy,and raining.All the snow is gone from my lawn,and there is green grass.Iam in shock.
I went out in a spring jacket only.I should be bundled up in 3 layers of clothing.
This is totally freaking me out.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

with the tornadoes last night it makes me start to think of edgar cayce had his dates wrong and kim clement? gave almost the same prediction

i wonder how weak the levees are getting

its been pretty colder than usual for seattle

not that im saying i belive the predictions, but maybe by someone else they can happen, especially with use of WCD's

who is to really know

[edit on 8-1-2008 by MurderCityDevil]

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Wakeing up to 62 degree temps, humidity, and fog was down right creepy. Top that off with a tornado 1 1/2 hrs south of here..... its is darn near impossible to convince yourself this is normal.

Some sort of change is comming. I can feel it in my bones. Some part of me - call it instincts - whatever, was trying to tell me something. I just wish I could understand what it was saying.

Watching the lightning light up the night sky, while warm breezes blew over me in my tshirt. In JANUARY! Was like watching a war, or a bomb go off, with my own eyes. It was surreal. The only thought in my typically chatty mind was, "oh, no". "Oh, no", what? I have no idea, because apparently I don't speak instinctlatin anymore.

It has since cooled off a bit, but they are still expecting it to warm back up to 50 by the weekend.

It did this last year too if i remember correctly. Just after New Years. That was followed by a darn near unbearably cold and snowy February. Which was followed by more warm temps causing an early spring which met an untimely death due to a 2 week long freeze.

As Carl (Jimmy Neutrons BFF) would say...."Stop the world, I wanna get off". PLEASE dont let this be a repeat of last year. I need my strawberries, and pretty flowers that scream spring. I need my summer and fall fruits. I need to make strawberry jelly and applesauce.
ahem sorry bout that rant

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I understand the warmth is comfortable and all that. I wouldn't get too happy about it. Unstable weather could kill many many people with food shortages and stuff like that.

We need to get back to some type of normal pattern.

I enjoy something about all of the seasons. But, I haven't seen significant snow here in a while. Sucks. Get out there and enjoy the season you are in, if possible. Get out the sled, build a snowman, cozy up in a warm blanket. It's all good.

Troy

posted on Jan, 9 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I live in SW Ontario, and I must have slept through that storm. I did comfirm though as my roomie had to walk home from work in the pouring rain. Seeing people out running in shorts and tshirts? In January? Weird to say the least. Actually, it's been like this the last couple of winters, had our first white christmas in a few years. I just hope we don't get another giant dump like last year. Get to work... chilly, no snow. Leave work 8 hours later...3-3.5 feet! wtf? I know theres a few others from London, Ontario here so they can confirm that.

At least we don't get hit like the NE US

top topics

join