It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Recruitment Lie: Pentagon's Education Pitch is a Scam

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
This is quite a bad scam by such an official body in my opinion.

i'm still quite stunned by the attrocity of it.

"Join the military and go to college." That's what the recruiters say.

But the deal that today's servicemen and servicewomen get is a far cry from what their fathers and grandfathers got. When President Franklin Roosevelt signed the GI Bill into law in the waning days of World War II, he saw it as part of his New Deal program. The law, officially called the Servicemen's Readjustment Act, promised returning veterans that the government would pay the full cost of tuition and books at any public or private college or job-training program. It also provided unemployment insurance and loans to buy homes and start businesses.

By contrast, the current Montgomery GI Bill, passed in 1984, asks active duty members to accept a pay reduction of $100 per month through twelve months of military service. When they return to school, they receive $1,100 monthly for a maximum of three years of education benefits. It's an amount that doesn't come close to covering the cost of a modern college education, but it does help some veterans--if they can get through the red tape.

www.alternet.org...

So, for it to be a benefit to you, you must serve more than 36 months and take a $100 a month pay reduction.

Not much of an incentive just to go to college or such.
I suppose you'll be rushed through training, sent into the operational field.

If you get killed, then you've been used as cheap labour, if you get wounded and can no longer serve then you get discharged and can't claim the 'bonus'.

And you just might be discharged just before your 3 year stint is up anyway and lose out on the bonus via that method.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The only Paris Lee on record in the Army lives in HI. And is 36 years old. Trying to google his name and I cannot find any other referances to his situation.

There is a Alajondro Rocha listed as an E1 in the Marine corp. He does not have a DOD record he is a member.

Here is a link to the news paper article where A.R. has been convicted of stealing and selling Body armour.

www.signonsandiego.com...

A quick google search of "GI Bill" will take you to the official web site. You can counter all the BS of the article that you quoted.

I think you should do some research on the article and the people listed before you base your opinion on it.

join