It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional Hearings on NEO - NASA Spanked

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Congressional Hearings on NEO

The hearing held on November 8, 2007, Chairman Mark Udall asks NASA why they have failed to implement a "plan, develop, and implement" a NEO survey program.

Equally troubling, one of the NASA witnesses will testify that "NASA would be pleased to implement a more aggressive NEO program if so directed by the President and Congress,"--with the implication that Congress has not yet done so. I think Sec. 321 of the NASA Authorization Act, which I quoted earlier, is unambiguous--Congress has in fact directed NASA to "plan, develop, and implement" such a program. And we would hope that the President would send over a NASA budget request that reflects that congressional direction.

Source

So basically if a object bigger then 140 meters was headed toward earth NASA would not know what to do to divert it.

In my opinion this is serious stuff. In light of how fast comets can change (re: Holmes).

Your comments please.

[edit on 22/11/07 by Rhain]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   
There's supposed to be a close pass-by of Tuttle this December, towards the end of the month. Also, Honda in 2011. I read a couple of articles about this, the Senate quizzed them, for I thought, a couple days, maybe it was only one, regardless, there's talk of 'radio signaling' an asteroid off course, but there's nothing that can stop a comet in the meantime, not even nukes. Holmes enlarged to almost the sun's size. Should a comet hit, those underground might be the only survivors.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by anhinga

I think all the close prox. comets warrant a complete plan for avoid impact. I wish Canada had the resources for this so we would not have to rely so heavily on the U.S. for it.

join