It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans love freedom and choice, so why does our government keep taking it away?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Alternate title

Seniors too Dumb for Doughnuts

It’s gotten so bad that government is now telling 85-year-old seniors that they can’t have doughnuts. Senior centers in Putnam County, New York, used to receive free donations of doughnuts and other baked goods. County officials have now banned the evil pastries. They were concerned that the high-calorie, fatty, delicious treats would worsen some of the seniors’ health problems. They did it for the seniors.
www.humanevents.com...

Picture Seniors Protesting

What is becoming of this world? This was a no cost item to the ccounty yet they took it upon themselves to ban seniors from eating them :shk:

First Trans Fat Oils, Then Soda in Schools followed by banning of peanut butter in schools next it will be Pizza and Hamburgers :shk:

[edit on 9/28/2007 by shots]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
If they ban Hamburgers and Pizza, I guess I'll have to resort to Criminal Behavior....

Seriously though, it is the Government acting like THEY know what is best for us.... SHEESHHH

You would think that as screwed up as the Government is, they would fix their house before trying to screw with mine...

Semper

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
The one thing Americans love more than their own liberty and freedom is banding together to deny some other Americans their liberty and freedom.
I swear, we'd all live in government regulated super-cities and eat soilent green when not working in our federal cubes for 18 hours a day if it meant sticking it to some other guy who enjoyed some particular freedom we didn't think he should be allowed to enjoy. Cigarettes, fatty foods, gay sex, guns, worship, you name it. For everything you love there is someone who wants to take it away from you. Government loves this because for them it's win/win. Less right for everyone, more money and power for the government.

[edit on 28-9-2007 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:01 PM
link   
From what I can gather, the county who owns the facility has decided that dough nuts aren't a healthy snack for elders and I can't really disagree with that, although I don't see a problem with having a couple of dough nuts a week for anyone.

However, this being a government facility, they have the choice to make as to what donations they accept or don't accept.

I would want to know if it would be forbidden for the clients to bring their own dough nuts to the center periodically for the other clients to share.

Another question to ask is whether or not the clients have the right to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Now, I know the center is funded by taxpayer money, but still it is administered by an agency that is committed to the improvement of the lives of its clients.

On the surface, it does seem unfair, but to turn the mortality question around, Is anyone going to die from not having dough nuts?

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
At my daughter's school you are requested to send a snack along each day with your child. They have the children eat these snacks mid-morning as it gives them a pick me up until lunch, which for some grades doesn't start until 12:30 or so. It is supposed to be a healthy snack which makes sense. No candy, etc. Things like pretzels, granola bars, etc. were acceptable.

This year they have put a sugar limit on these types of snacks. Consequently, many granola bars, fruit rolls and the like, no longer are acceptable.

The ridiculous part of this is that the food they serve for lunch in the cafeteria is absolute garbage. I know there is a limit on what they can afford to serve, but the pizza, burgers, hot dogs, chicken nuggets, and lunch meats they offer are of such low quality it is laughable. Rarely would I characterize even one of the two daily lunch choices the kids have as healthy.

Yet they feel they need to dictate what constitutes "healthy" for a morning snack you send with your child. If it has too much sugar, they do not allow the kids to have it, and give them something from the teacher's stash. A stash they solicit from the parents throughout the year.

It's just weird, inconsistent, and stupid. Stop deciding what people should eat. Candy I can understand, but as a parent let me decide what's healthy for my kid. Ours rarely eats a school lunch

Too bad for the old folks. When I'm that age, I hope to eat whatever the heck I want.

Don't get me started on the new grading system.

posted on Sep, 29 2007 @ 03:01 AM
link   

although I don't see a problem with having a couple of dough nuts a week for anyone.

You just can't tease me that way Grady!!!!!!!!!

Even with my Diabetes, I "Cheat" myself more than that....

(OOOPPPSSS I guess I am carrying on the stereotype)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh well, Caught in the act..

Semper

new topics

top topics

join