It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Several Tornadoes hit the UK

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Well today here in the UK seemed to be the day of Tornadoes!

So i first want to say that i hope my fellow UK members are all safe and that no body has suffered any damage to there homes ect,

But goodness this seemed to creep up out of know where,
The following towns where hit here in the UK
Nuneaton
Nottingham
Long Eaton
Northampton
Luton
Farnborough

Tiles were ripped off roofs, fences blown over and in one case a caravan was blown onto its roof.

One witness told Sky News it was like a "bomb" had gone off outside his home.

One of the most powerful tornadoes appears to have struck Nuneaton in the West Midlands, causing damage to 35 homes.

All suffered tornado's in the early hours of this morning,

Roofs have been ripped off, Trees uprooted and damage to a number of homes,

Luckily people seemed to have escaped injury,

Related news Stories:
Link
SKYNEWS

PHOTO'S

[edit on 24-9-2007 by asala]

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I don't think anyone can say thats not weird. Last year there was one in nw london and people siad that tornadoes do happen here, but people do not report them. But this situation shows that something is changing, or going on.

Do they have any vids on it, does nayone remember a few years ago that tornadoe that came out of nowhere on a football pitch in asia, weird.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Yet the BBC weatherman at 1.30 said there was no proof or photographs whatsoever of any tornadoes, merely 'Line Squalls'

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton
Yet the BBC weatherman at 1.30 said there was no proof or photographs whatsoever of any tornadoes, merely 'Line Squalls'

So no one actually saw one or filmed it. Is this like a ufo case, where people will not believe until we see proof, lol.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Not Necessarily but you dont need tornado's to do the damage that was done. We get lots of strong winds here in the UK.

Last nights wind was forecast on Friday which was why I went and tidied everything up in the garden yesterday.

Im not saying there werent any Tornado's, but the Met office is manned 24 Hrs a day and they would have known about it once it was happening or had happened.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I Would just like to add that this happened real early in the morning most people would have still been in bed and may not have had a camera at the ready,

I have one next to my bed lol,

But I did see the freak weather change about 7am here in the South east,
About 30 mins drive from Luton,

There was a sudden gush or rapid wind then major rain that seemed to be coming from all places then a burst of hail stones,

I thought then that's tornado weather, about 9am I turned on the news and there it was, I kinda just nodded with a hmmm,

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
You can really see the difference between a tornado and what they call "straight line winds".

A tornado will twist tree trunks, whereas straight-line winds will not. If you've ever seen a huge tree trunk twisted around itself, the difference will be apparent. It's not something that is easily confused with a tree just snapping off from very high winds in a straight line.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chorlton

A number of site investigations are underway. Until completed we can't confirm anything, but suspicions are that at least a couple of these will prove to be tornadoes. TORRO did issue a tornado watch yesterday for this morning's cold front
However, much of the damage is more likely to be from straight line winds etc

It seems that from a reluctance to accept we get tornadoes in the UK, the media and public have switched to the opposite extreme, automatically assuming all sudden strong winds are tornadoes!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   
It seems from a mixture of eyewitness testimony and "expert" analysis that at least some of the damage was indeed inflicted by tornadoes.

In a statement, the Met Office said that the gusts were "conducive to tornadoes" and measured T2 or T3 on the TORRO scale (which ranges from 0 to 10), meaning they were "moderate to strong".

Ruth Spaull of Luton said that she saw "a funnel of wind" lift her daughter's trampoline 15ft (4.52m) into the air.

Terry Parrott, who lives in Farnborough, said he looked out of his window to see a "complete whirling mass".

Terrence Meaden, deputy head of tornado research group TORRO, said five reports were "looking certain" to be confirmed as tornadoes.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I think there are currently 9 incidents under investigation. However damage in rural locations may not even get reported as possible tonadoes so there may be others.

From what I've seen so far, the Farnborough case does look like being a tornado. There are doubts about the Nuneaton one.

btw nice to see the MetO utilising the Torro scale

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Well, then
Tornados in britain. Ive not heard of such a thing, have you had them in the past?
Were there thunder storms?, If you had thunder storms I'd bet you'all had a twister.
A few years ago, during an El nino event, we had a particularly strong set of storms blow through in march.
I was at work, I was a cnc machinist with a mfg firm in the area.I was running parts on the big cnc lathe in the shop, it was big enough for me to stand up inside of it, and I heard an odd sound coming from what I thought was the machine. We were turing parts at the very edge of the machining envelope. At the speeds we we were working with if something happend like a broken tool or the part was about to come out of the chuck , the only clue you would have was a change in sound of the the machine.
While running a part I could hear a distinct rumble, I immediately hit the emergency stop button, to stop what could be a multi-thousand dollar incident if a part came out of the chuck. I checked and everything was ok, the rumbling was still going on, and none of the other machinists seemed to notice what was going on.It was a loud shop, but my machine was by the back wall so I could hear the train track that ran behind the shop.
I figured that it was a freight train running behind the shop, so i went over to the door and took a peak outside, and I saw the roof of the old shed next door go flying by. I immediately ran to my machine, hitting the lock out switch as I went by it, I was ready tovjump inside and close the door. The machine weighed 19-1/2 tons and was bolted to the 1' thick concrete floor, so I was sure it wasnt going anywhere. If the roof started to come off the building I was in there in a second.
Well, my boss saw the emergency stop flasher on and came over to see what was up, and I told him that a tornado came by. His first expression was
then it was
. There are no tornados around here he exclaimed, and chewed me out for stopping the machine.
A couple of minutes after the boss went back to his office, the power went out. So we all got to go home. When I got home the power was also out there, so i decided to crack a pint of stout, sit on the porch and watch the storm. While I sitting on the porch, a group of local hooligans, gangbangers(Parkside Bulldogs), were strutting by and one of them pointed to the sky and they all started running down the street. There arent may thing that will make the bulldogs run away, the police heli is one, but it was a rather large funnel cloud swinging around in the sky that gave them the fright. I have never seen such a group of toughs run so fast in my life.
It was slowly rotating around just to the west of my house, trying to form into a full fledged tornado. I was big enough to get me to run to the basement door and hang out.
The point of my rather long story is that we had maybe a funnel cloud every few years years, now we have them every year with at least
one tornado.
The worlds climate is changing.
I have met people from the US midwest and south that ask me how I can live in an area with earthquakes, and I reply that I would rather have the ground shake every few years than have the "finger of god" come down and erase everything once season.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by punkinworks
Well, then
Tornados in britain. Ive not heard of such a thing, have you had them in the past?

Yes, we get around 30 or 40 reported in the UK every year - possibly as much as twice that number actually occurring. However, they're all small compared with the twisters that get spawned by supercells in the US.

Were there thunder storms?, If you had thunder storms I'd bet you'all had a twister.

No, it was a very active cold front producing some severe but short lived gusts - most of the reported damage was probably from straight line winds rather than tornadoes.

Autumn is the when tornadoes are most common in the UK, especially in coastal regions.

new topics

top topics

join